My name is John Carter and I currently live in Los Angeles, California with my family and our two dogs. I have a German Shepherd, Molly, (6 years old) and Barley, a 2-year-old Beagle.
I rescued Molly down in Alabama as a puppy after she was abandoned by her previous family. She was malnourished when we first got her and now she is extremely happy and healthy.
Soon after we adopted Barley who stole our hearts at one of our local animal shelters. He is active and full of spunk; he especially loves running around the yard and chasing after Molly.
My children have also grown to love Molly and Barley and have enjoyed coming to volunteer at the shelters and make a big difference.
My Passion for Animals
My passion for animals started at a very young age as I grow up on a farm with several horses, cows, cats, chickens, and dogs on our property. I had a fondness for helping animals in need and my first volunteer job in High School was at a dog shelter in our hometown.
I spent my weekends at the shelter nourishing the animals to get back in good health before they ended up being adopted. Throughout the years, I have continued to work in animal shelters and have worked with numerous different dog breeds.
As rewarding as it is to spend my time rescuing animals, it can be very emotional and difficult at times. Seeing animals come to our shelters abused and in horrible conditions is devastating at times but knowing that I can make a significant difference in the animals’ lives keeps me motivated.
My mission is to learn everything I can about pets and help other pet owners and lovers in the process.
Experience & Qualifications
- I’ve worked with a variety of different dog breeds over the past 17 years.
- I’ve got a Bachelor of Science degree in Animal Behaviour and Welfare and have several years’ experience working in animal shelters and rescues.
- Volunteer responsibilities include cleaning kennels, filling bowls, giving medicine, washing and drying towels, and playing with the animals.
- Assisting with adoption paperwork and requirements to send animals to their forever homes.
- Provide private behavioral or bond consulting services to pet owners.
- Researched and written over 400 pages of pet-related articles on many topics such as training, temperament, health, and other tips and guides for keeping a pet.
- I read, research, and write about pets especially dogs between 4 to 10 hours a day, seven days per week. Currently, I’ve written over 850,000 words (or close to 10 novel’s worth) of heavily-researched articles regarding a variety of different pets.
About Bubbly Pet
The number of pet bloggers is rising yearly, which I believe is a great personal platform to share thoughts, feelings, information and communicate with other pet enthusiasts or owners.
Launching my first blog named Bubbly Pet, my goal is to make a difference to dozens of people, pets and their lives. In addition to that, this blog will be dedicated to anything and everything about pets, from their diets and exercise to traveling with pets and playtime.
Adopt Don’t Shop
Although it can be tempting to buy a purebred dog from a pet store or breeder, there are thousands of dogs abandoned or surrendered to shelters that need homes too.
Shopping at a pet store, many of the animals come straight from “puppy mills” which are high volume breeding facilities that are looking to make a profit. Oftentimes the animals are taken from their mothers too soon and end up being sick and unsocialized.
Animals in shelters are not damaged and broken, but instead live their lives as strays or were given up by their original families. These animals have faced hardships in their lives, but after being cared for in the shelters they are capable of love again.
One of the most important things to do after adopting a puppy is to make sure they are spayed/neutered in a timely manner to avoid large litters and overcrowding in the shelters.
Seeing animals arrive at the shelter scared and cowering in their kennels to happily wagging their tails, running around with their littermates outside is one of the best experiences!