Poodles are originally bred to be hunting and retrieving dogs; they are never meant to become a house pet. But because of their trainability and socialization skills, others managed to make them a part of the family.
Little did you know, they are an easy-going breed who loves to cuddle, and most definitely an attention catcher. Nobody could resist that big ball of curly fur. Poodles are one of the most suggested breeds for a family. Now, do they attach to one person only?
Yes, they could easily get attached to one person only. It is like they picked their favorite person in the house. You see, poodles tend to cling onto their person, a particular person in the house. They will show a very close bond to that person but remains distant to all other household members.
Usually, this happens when they have established trust and relationship with that person first before meeting everybody else, or that person is the one who takes care of him most of the time.
4 Reasons Why Your Poodles Attach to You
It is good that your poodle loves you so much and that they get attached to you. It shows how important you are to them and how ready they are to defend you.
Although it is a cute act, we still need to make them socialize with others. It would be best if you allowed them to build relationships with fellow poodles, other pets, and your family members.
But first thing’s first, why do poodles get attached to people?
Poodles’ clingy behavior often shows affection towards their dog parents, which is a positive behavior. They get clingy when they are comfortable with you and if they fully trust you.
If they are clingy since they were pups, then it is completely fine. But if your poodle is not usually clingy yet behaves differently, it might be one of these three reasons:
- When they get scared by something like a thunderclap, sudden loud noises, or firecrackers, they want to near to you for protection. This will have a chain reaction to them that would make cling to you every time they get startled.
- When they get teased by other dogs in the house, they stick to you as much as possible. They become dependent on the authority and security that you show over them and all other pets in the house.
- When they are feeling sick or has an injury, they tend to be as near as possible to you. When poodles do not feel well, they seek comfort and relief from people they trust.
How Do Poodles Choose Their Favorite Person?
It is such an excellent feeling when your poodles act all cuddly with you. If you have not known it yet, poodles and other dogs pick their favorite person.
They would not cling to just any random person they meet. They choose their favorite person based on their personality, positive association, attention, and socialization.
It does not mean that if you are the provider or primary caregiver, you automatically become their favorite person. Poodles choose someone who has the same traits as them.
If the dog is energetic and loud, they tend to stick with the person who plays with them the most or as playful as they are. If the dog is more reserved, they would likely bond with the calm and silent person in the household.
What to Do If a Poodle Is Attached to One Person in Household?
A lot of people agree to the fact that clingy poodles are cute. It shows that they trust you, and you are their only buddy inside the house. But no matter how adorable this is, you have to make them get along with everybody else.
That is why I am going to show you three things that you have to do if your Poodle is attached to you only.
- Socialize them with others: Introduce them slowly to events that involve your family members, and it is also useful if they get to know your friends and their dogs. Also, try to see why they get so clingy to you, maybe something bothers them.
- Make them feel welcome and secure: It is one of the basic necessities if you want to get a dog. You have to make sure that the environment where they are going to live in is suitable for them. Each member of the family should make them feel welcome and secured inside the house. Besides, try to give them their own space or bed to retreat to if things get overwhelming for them inside the house.
- Manage time with them: You have to make sure that everyone has their tasks in taking care of the poodle. It should not be you all the time. In this way, they will feel that everybody cares for them and not just you. Also, the playtime is essential. When it comes to playing with them, make sure that they are having fun while playing, this helps build a good relationship between the poodle and other family members.
How to React If Your Poodle Gets Clingy?
This one applies to those who live alone in their apartments or houses. If your poodle is not the clingy type and suddenly becomes one, you need to evaluate the situation and try to examine the reason for the change in behavior.
There might be some sudden events that could have triggered it, like what I have mentioned earlier in this text.
But if they do not show health issues and they are just playfully attached to you, the best way to respond is to accompany them without being too comforting for them.
Dogs, in general, are intelligent creatures, and poodles are one of the most intelligent breeds, which means that getting clingy could reinforce as a game for them.
Now, to avoid them from being too attached to you without ignoring them or making them feel unwanted, you could also do these simple tricks:
- You have to communicate with them. It may look like they do not understand us, but they do. Talk to him for a while, give him a friendly pat on the head, and distract him by giving him toys or snacks that would keep him busy.
- Give him tasks or games that have a reward that would divert his focus. Rewards could be a new toy or his favorite treat. You can start by helping your poodle and lessen your involvement gradually. This will keep him occupied because he becomes excited about getting his reward and enjoys having it.
- Try to play treasure hunting with your poodles. At first, hide all the rewards on certain spots around your place, guide your poodle on where to find it. Do this regularly, and surely, your poodles will be busy searching all over the place for hidden treats. You could also hide the treats on spots that are hard to find.
- Furthermore, when you are away from home for the whole day, poodles could really get overly excited when you come home. They tend to cling to you, requesting your attention. Now, as an independent adult, you do all the chores, and you are busy. To secure that your poodles do not resort to harmful behavior, give them at least 15 minutes of your time. Play with them, cuddle with them, or talk with them, this will help them understand that you miss them too.
Poodles are one of those dogs that could not stand being ignored or being left out. That is why they get attached to their owners or specific people who share the same personality as them.
If the poodle is attached to you since it was a pup, then all is perfectly well. But if it is unexpected behavior, observe them closely and evaluate the situation, this will help you understand the triggering factors for a sudden act.
It would depend on the dog parents how to handle their poodle’s attachment. They may find ways more effective than what we have suggested.
However, the most important matter is that you attend to their emotional and physical needs. You will find out that having a clingy poodle is not bad, after all.
Do poodles need another dog?
Poodles are more like a family dog. They need their owner’s attention and presence. You could get another dog for companionship, but you have to make sure they would get along and not cause chaos.
Do poodles get cold easily?
Poodles do not get cold quickly. Their furs are designed to keep them warm in cold weather. However, if your poodle tends to shiver, that means they are struggling to keep the core temperature of their body.
Can you keep a poodle outside?
It is best advised not to your poodles outside. Making them stay out of the house may develop illnesses due to varying weather conditions. It might also develop a separation anxiety disorder.
No matter how safe the places that they are going to stay in, it is still not a good idea to have them outside. A lot of factors may cause them to become unhealthy.