Adding a new dog to the family is always exciting. However, spending thousands of dollars on a puppy isn’t always a practical choice. Thankfully, with a bit of research and luck, you can find puppies for free in your area.
Not spending a single cent on a puppy can be achieved in multiple ways. Like with many things, you just need to be resourceful and patient.
While some can find a free puppy with one click, others may need a little more time and effort.
If you want to find free puppies in no time, I will gladly share some reliable tips and sources with you. Let’s get started!
How to Get Puppies for Free in Your Area?
For some, it might feel humiliating to ask for a free puppy but more often than not, you are considered a hero for doing so.
Many puppies end up getting given away due to financial and mental unpreparedness. By adopting from rescues, you are giving a pup a chance to feel wanted and have a good life.
To successfully get a free pet dog, you can try the ways listed in this article. Some may not be guaranteed but with an added determination, you can take home your new lifelong companion.
1. Adopt a local stray dog or puppy
We see a lot of cute puppy videos playing or being loved by their owners online. However, it remains apparent that many dogs are left to wander around the streets to survive.
While most of these homeless dogs get rescued by dog volunteers, some are still far from getting a new home.
If you wish to adopt a stray dog or puppy, keep an eye out for one that might be lurking around your neighborhood. Many of these dogs are harmless and were once part of a family.
Earn their trust by leaving food outside your house every day and try approaching them in a friendly manner.
After this period of courtship, you can welcome the pup into a permanent home just like the story of this abandoned puppy in a garbage dump:
2. Ask your friends or relatives
Often enough, your source for a new pet is just within your circle. Your close friend, family member, co-worker, or even neighbor might know someone who is expecting a litter, or better yet, they might be expecting one themselves.
If a friend or someone you know is nice enough to give their puppies away for free, you can drop by their house and request to have one for yourself.
Of course, as a kind gesture, you can give them a gift or treat them to a nice pub or restaurant.
3. Check your local newspaper
You might want to reactivate your subscription to your local newspaper because it might include an advertisement for free puppies.
Go straight to the classified ads section and look for keywords like “free dogs for adoption” or “free puppies to take home.”
When you meet up with the person behind the ad, make sure to be on guard or take a friend with you just to be safe. Make sure that the owner is not shady and clear on their descriptions about the dog breed.
4. Visit Craigslist for dog adoption listings
Craigslist is an online advertisement website where people from anywhere in the United States can view listings for jobs, services, and even free dog adoptions.
While most postings require a fee, you can be lucky enough to find one that requires zero dollars.
However, these convincing posts may also be just a scam. Make sure to ask the person a lot of questions before you share any of your personal information, especially your location.
5. Go to a pet shelter
Numerous government-owned pet shelters are scattered throughout the United States. These centers take in thousands of dogs each day and those who don’t get adopted after a certain period get euthanized. In some cases, these pups are given for free by the shelter.
Since most shelters take in dogs regardless of their condition, you might get one with a serious disease or behavioral issues. You might spend more money on treatment so it’s best to proceed with caution when getting a dog from a shelter.
6. Inquire at a dog rescue group
Another option would be to go to the nearest dog rescue group in your area. As you might know, adopting a puppy or senior dog from these organizations is never free.
However, you can sign up to be a foster parent and eventually adopt the lucky pup.
Since you already proved your capability to take care of the dog or puppy, the rescue can waive the adoption fee depending on your discussed terms.
In this way, you’ll know that you and the dog are a perfect match, plus you can bypass the rescue’s tedious adoption process.
7. Join Facebook groups dedicated to dog adoption
An obvious way to be an instant dog owner for free is through social media. Dedicated Facebook groups for pet lovers who want to adopt can be found with a single search.
Just type in keywords like “free puppies near me” or “adopt a puppy for free,” and you’re all set.
Most of the time, the options are endless since posts are updated every day. However, as time ticks, your chances of getting one become lower and lower.
A fast internet connection at home can work wonders if you choose this option.
Due to the first-come, first-serve nature of Facebook adoption groups and pages, you might want to make use of the hashtag feature to increase your free puppy options.
Key in #dogsforfree or #freepuppiesforadoption and see what they have pets in store for you.
Since fake posts are everywhere these days, it’s always advised to check the owner’s profile and do a small background check.
9. Ask your vet for suggestions
Who can better help you search for a free puppy than your local vet who’s handling a lot of pets? Pay them a visit one day and ask if they know any clients that are looking for dog adopters.
You can trust that they can share the names of trustworthy people that you can talk to without the fear of getting scammed.
Remember to ask politely and not insist if they currently don’t know people who offer free puppies. Leave your contact details and wait patiently for any updates.
10. Try your luck at adoption clinics
While buying dog food from your favorite pet shop’s website, you can sometimes find announcements for free adoption events or clinics.
To be one of the early bird dog adopters, sign up to the store’s mailing list and know the adoption clinic dates. It’s a good option for those who have limited access to shelters and rescue organizations due to their location.
11. Volunteer at a rescue or animal rights organization
As a true dog lover, you can become a volunteer at any rescue group or animal rights organization for a chance to adopt a puppy for free.
Aside from this advantage, you can work with other volunteers to promote animal rights awareness and other important causes.
Dog rescues and organizations will be more than willing to waive any pet adoption fee to dedicated volunteers that they can fully trust with their rescued dogs.
12. Create and put up “Puppy Wanted” fliers around your town or city
If you want a traditional form of classified ads, print out some fliers asking for free puppies. I know it sounds absurd but it’s worth the shot.
Despite being in the digital age, people still look at bulletin boards in vet clinics, bus stops, gyms, and other public spaces.
Although this method may less likely lead you to your next dog companion, you’ll never know how far a piece of paper can reach.
13. Reach out to local breeders
You might be raising an eyebrow right now since expensive breeders are exactly what you want to avoid. However, did you know that they can also give puppies to potential adopters for free?
This usually happens when the breeder decides to stop their operations or a puppy fails to find a new home.
Make a list of breeders in your location and check current announcements for any news about giving free pets.
Among the other methods mentioned, this will give you the lowest chance of finding a free puppy but it’s always worth the try.
Pros and Cons of Getting a Free Puppy
Getting a free puppy is a blessing for those who are cutting down on their budget but still want a pet to take care of.
However, you won’t get the same advantages as you get when buying a puppy from a breeder. Sometimes the practical benefit doesn’t outweigh the consequences.
Before you start your search for a free puppy, here are some pros and cons to help you decide on the best option. Let’s begin with the advantages:
- You can save thousands of dollars. Depending on the dog breed, you need to cash out a couple of hundred to thousands of dollars on a single puppy. When you get a free puppy, you can be free of this expenditure and save a lot of money. You won’t even need to pay for adoption fees such as those charged by most shelters and dog rescues.
- You can allocate more budget on dog supplies. Since you didn’t spend a single penny on purchasing a puppy, you can allot your budget on getting high-quality dog supplies or products like a cage, bed, carrier, toys, grooming tools, and of course, food. You can also get a good pet insurance policy to avoid bigger expenses in the long run.
- You don’t have to undergo long application periods. If you choose to adopt from a rescue, you need to wait for the long application process which usually takes around 2 weeks or more. You can easily skip this waiting time when you get a free puppy along with the in-depth interviews, house visits, and possible rejections.
- You can have an instant companion. In relation to the previous advantage, you can instantly take home your puppy without waiting for lengthy approval periods. No need to worry about contracts, payment, and other time-consuming paperwork. You just need to set up a convenient meeting place and time to get your new pet.
- You can get a purebred dog without spending a dime. Buying a popular dog breed is definitely not cheap. If you are fortunate enough to find ads or a listing for free purebred dogs, don’t let the opportunity slip away. This might be a once-in-a-lifetime chance.
It’s hard to resist puppies, especially when you can bring them home for free. However, you might want to look into some disadvantages that may come with this decision. These include the following:
- You can get a puppy with several health issues. Breeders charge a lot since they include the price of health tests, vaccinations, and other medical expenses. With a free puppy, there is almost no guarantee than word of mouth that the pup is healthy. When you adopt a baby or newborn puppy, you will need to consult a vet to know if they have any congenital defects. Similarly, if you take in a stray dog, you may want to get them checked for parasites, infection, and other diseases.
- You might spend more on treatment and other medical needs. If you find out upon consultation that your adopted dog is suffering from an illness, you will need to pay for treatment out of your own pocket. You may also need to spend more on spaying or neutering, vaccine shots, and other necessary medical attention. In some cases, the price of the vet bill might come close to the price of a new puppy so it’s worth considering.
- You might need to deal with behavioral issues. Puppies or dogs offered for free may come from traumatic homes or environments. Once you adopt them, their behavior can manifest in different ways. Some may be too reserved or unresponsive while others are aggressive and destructive. Positive reinforcement methods can help in honing their temperament and healing them from trauma.
- You can encounter fake ads and internet scams. People can easily pretend to be dog owners and get your personal information online. Refrain from entering an unknown website or web page. Don’t share your location or any important detail with a stranger, even if it’s on a known social media platform like Facebook. Verify their identity by looking through pictures on their profile or comments from other users.
- There are very few sources of free puppies. It can be challenging to search for free puppies, especially if there is a limited number of sources. An online listing can disappear after a day. Slots can easily fill up in shelters, dog rescues, and adoption clinics. Stray dogs may not always be loitering in your area.
Your interest in a free puppy can be greatly influenced by the pros and cons discussed in this section.
It’s important to weigh these aspects and ask other dog lovers for advice. Nothing is more helpful than the input of others who got a free dog themselves.
Why Are Some Puppies Given Away for Free?
It might be hard to fathom why dog owners choose to give away fluffy bundles of joy. While it may seem cruel, they have their reasons for giving away their precious puppies for free.
These may be due to personal and financial issues that hinder them from providing for the pup’s needs.
For them, giving the puppies to more capable hands is better than letting them suffer.
To help you understand the owner’s side of the story, here is a list of common reasons why puppies are put up for adoption without requiring any fee:
- The owner can’t handle having another puppy in the household.
- The owner is relocating, and it’s not possible to take the puppy or dog with them.
- Due to unforeseen events like bankruptcy, the owner can’t financially support the dog and its needs.
- The owner failed to assess their capability to be a responsible pet owner.
- The dog suddenly displayed aggressive behavior towards the owner.
- The puppy or dog has a life-threatening disease that requires expensive medical treatment.
- The owner is caught up with personal problems which prevent them from taking care of their dog.
- There are changes in their current household or lifestyle that are not suited for having a dog.
- A member of the family is allergic to dog fur.
- The owner’s landlord doesn’t allow pets in the apartment.
- The dog can’t get along with other pets in the house like a cat.
As we all know, life is full of unexpected hurdles. Sometimes, these problems can put people in tough situations, causing them to give up a part of their lives.
In this case, the owner’s puppies or dogs take the hit. However, these reasons may still vary from person to person.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is It a Good Idea to Adopt Stray Dogs?
For those who want an instant pet, adopting a stray dog is the most practical option. Keep in mind that these dogs or puppies might be carrying illnesses or suffering from previous trauma.
They need extra care and attention in order to become the best companions.
Do Pounds Give Dogs for Free?
Dog pounds or shelters may offer puppies or dogs for free. However, it is not always guaranteed, and the slots may be limited.
You may want to leave your contact details, including your phone number and email, to the representatives to be on the priority list.
What Happens to Unsold Puppies at Pet Stores?
Puppies that are not sold for a period of time often end up being given to pet store employees, long-time customers, or rescue groups.
Before this, the pet shop owners try to sell them at a discounted price. If none of their marketing tactics work, they have no choice but to give them for free.
Is Adoption Free at PetSmart?
As mentioned in this article, PetSmart sometimes arranges adoption events or clinics in partnership with local shelters and dog rescues.
Depending on their terms, the puppies may be given for free or with a corresponding fee. You can send the organizers an email or visit PetSmart’s website to know if there are available pups for free.
Where Can You Find Cheap Puppies for Sale?
Filter your search box depending on where you live and the dog’s price range and age. For better customization, share your email by registering on their websites.
Many people rely on the availability of free puppies online to make their wish of becoming a fur parent a reality.
While it is considered something exciting and worthwhile, owning a dog is a lifetime commitment that starts the moment you let their cute paws into the doorstep.
If adopting free puppies or dogs come to mind, evaluate the positives and negatives of this endeavor. And most of all, assess your capacity to become a responsible owner.
Adopting for free is a whole different experience than buying from a breeder. You should proceed with a higher degree of caution and also add in some extra patience in looking for organizations that can offer you one.
Read forums and discussions where other canine lovers share their journey of finding a free dog.