Featured Image Credit: three.little.doggos / Instagram
|Height:||12 – 20 inches|
|Weight:||20 – 40 pounds|
|Lifespan:||11 – 15 years|
|Coat Colors:||Black, tan, brown, gray, black & tan, brown & silver|
|Temperament:||Intelligent, loyal, perky and outgoing|
|Suitable for:||Families with children; active and patient owners|
The German Shepherd Yorkie mix is definitely a head-turner dog breed that grabs the attention of dog lovers. Who wouldn’t be curious about this unique hybrid whose parent breeds are on opposite sides of the spectrum?
Being medium-sized pooches, Yorkie Shepherd mixes bring their enthusiasm everywhere they go. With their outgoing personality, pet owners are in for a great experience with this perky designer dog breed.
Are you still intrigued in finding out more about the German Shepherd Yorkshire Terrier mix? You’re in luck since this article is going to guide you along the way!
What Is a German Shepherd Yorkie Mix?
The German Shepherd Yorkie mix is a unique hybrid formed by breeding the popular breeds of German Shepherd and Yorkshire Terrier. This crossbreed is a medium-sized pet ideal for dog lovers looking for energetic yet intelligent companions. Moreover, they are also active and outgoing.
Much like the parents, this active designer breed is receptive to training because of its temperance and loyal personality that is inclined to follow its owner or chosen person.
Aside from being obedient in training, the feisty German Shepherd Yorkie mix also needs constant attention and care from its owner since it is a highly sociable dog with immeasurable amounts of energy.
As a mixed breed, the German Shepherd Yorkie is not recognized by the American Kennel Club (AKC). Fortunately, it is listed by organizations catering to hybrids, such as the Designer Breed Registry (DBR).
Can a German Shepherd Mate With a Yorkie?
This Yorkie Shepherd mix is an uncommon designer breed considering that both parent breeds have a huge size difference. This poses a challenge in breeding them and is one of the main reasons why these hybrids are rare.
If you’re curious as to what their size difference looks like in real life, here’s a video showing the parent breeds’ usual physical builds:
Intentional breeding of this unique crossbreed is done by mating a healthy female German Shepherd with a healthy male Yorkshire Terrier.
This pairing is ideal since female Yorkshire Terriers won’t be able to carry German Shepherd Yorkie mixes due to their big size. Hence, female German Shepherds are more fit to undergo pregnancy for this hybrid.
However, it is important to note that Yorkie Shepherd mix breeders prefer applying artificial insemination due to the difficulty of breeding them through natural reproduction because of the size gap.
Further, the Yorkie German Shepherd puppies and adults need extra care and maintenance due to possible health ailments they may experience.
German Shepherd Yorkie Mix Origin and History
There is not much written about the history and origin of the German Shepherd Yorkie mix. Nonetheless, we can take a look at the background of its parent breeds to better understand the roots of this unique hybrid.
The German Shepherd Dog (GSD) originated in Germany back in the late 1800s. They were primarily trained to be guard dogs because of their sturdy physical build and unwavering loyal personality.
On the other hand, the Yorkshire Terrier originated from Yorkshire, England. They were trained to hunt common house and farm pests such as rodents, weasels, and vermin.
They are one of the smallest types of dogs included in the Terrier group. Due to their small stature, it’s an easy feat for Yorkies to catch mice running away.
Despite the distinct differences between the parent breeds, it’s clear that the German Shepherd Yorkie mix inherited notable features from both breeds that resulted in a gorgeous hybrid dog breed.
German Shepherd Yorkie Mix Appearance
At first glance, the most notable feature to notice on a German Shepherd Yorkie mix would be its angular facial features.
Although not as prominent as half of the parent breed, the German Shepherd, the facial structure of the German Shepherd Yorkie mix highlights its pointed nose bridge and dark-colored snout.
On the other hand, the pointed ears of the German Shepherd Yorkie mix are features definitely inherited from the other parent breed, the Yorkie.
In terms of coat, this crossbreed could possibly inherit the German Shepherd’s short hair coat or the Yorkshire Terrier’s long-haired silky coat.
The fur color of the German Shepherd Yorkie varies depending on which parent breed’s color is primarily inherited.
For reference, a German Shepherd Yorkie mix’s common colors include black, tan, brown, black and tan mix, and brown and silver mix.
It is important to note that both parent breeds have fur colors that gradually change as the dog develops. Hence, it is possible that the German Shepherd Yorkie mix could go through the same process as it grows into an adult dog.
German Shepherd Yorkie Mix Size and Weight
German Shepherd Yorkie mixes are medium-sized dogs with compact and angular body builds. Their stature makes them perfect companions for activities that will really exert their energy, such as hiking and hunting.
The average height of this designer breed ranges between 12 and 20 inches. As for its average weight, it ranges between 20 and 40 pounds.
Generally, the size and weight of the German Shepherd Yorkie are still dependent on various factors, such as inherited genes and lineage of its parent breeds.
German Shepherd Yorkie Mix Temperament and Personality
The German Shepherd Yorkie mix is active, loyal, and sociable. The hybrid goes beyond being merely adorable with its highly intelligent and energetic characteristics.
The feisty and outgoing personality of the German Shepherd Yorkie makes it a perfect companion for individuals who enjoy physical activities, such as going on walks or hiking.
This is because German Shepherd Yorkie mixes take after their parent breeds’ loyal personalities. They take delight in making their masters happy with their tricks and antics.
Like most dog breeds, proper training is still recommended for this pooch from an early age. This ensures that the hybrid retains the good traits rather than eventually becoming too stubborn.
German Shepherd Yorkie Mix Lifespan and Health Issues
The expected lifespan of the German Shepherd Yorkie mix is estimated between 11 and 15 years. It is important to note, though, that this is the case if the pooch is properly cared for.
Maintaining your dog’s health must be your main priority as an owner. This is due to the reality that this hybrid can possibly suffer health ailments, especially in adulthood.
Here are the following possible health issues that the German Shepherd Yorkie hybrid crossbreed may develop in the long run:
- Hip and Elbow Dysplasia: The GSD is prone to these conditions and may also be inherited by its German Shepherd Yorkie offspring. Hip and elbow dysplasia affects the strength and mobility of your pooch’s joints.
- Pancreatic Acinar Atrophy: This condition affects the German Shepherd Yorkie breed’s immune system. Pancreatic acinar atrophy (PAA) directly destroys the cells found in the pancreas responsible for a dog’s digestive enzymes. Effects of this health ailment include drastic weight loss and lethargy or lack of energy.
- Tracheal Collapse: Yorkshire Terriers are prone to this condition that can also possibly affect the health of your German Shepherd Yorkie mix. Tracheal collapse occurs in the adult stage and it causes harsh dry coughing that can put your pooch in constant pain due to the pressure on their throat.
Maintaining your dog’s health must be done consistently by providing them with a nutritious diet, frequent exercise, and of course, genuine love and care.
Further, consider investing in pet insurance for your pet to get the best medical care in case of emergencies while being worry-free from a financial aspect.
How to Take Care of Your Yorkshire Terrier German Shepherd Mix
Taking care of a Yorkshire Terrier German Shepherd mix could prove to be quite a challenge for pet owners at first.
Designer breeds such as the perky German Shepherd Yorkie mix are bundles of surprising traits and features that require maintenance and attention in order to ensure their healthy development.
Food and Diet
Just like its German Shepherd parent, the German Shepherd Yorkie mix also needs high-quality food, such as dry dog food mixed with healthy protein.
Prioritize providing protein from meat and balance it by adding vegetables that are good sources of fiber. These are essential in your pooch’s meal since this designer breed is an active hybrid.
Remember to observe your dog’s eating habits and adjust to its needs accordingly in order to avoid health problems such as obesity and gastric dilation caused by eating too quickly.
Cleaning and Grooming
Maintaining your German Shepherd Yorkie mix breed’s appearance depends on what type of coat it inherits from the parent breeds. It is possible that your pooch may have a short coat like the GSD or a long coat like the Yorkie.
German Shepherd Yorkie mix with short coats should be given a bath at least once a month or as needed since dirt and debris cling more easily to their fur due to the rough texture of their fur.
On the other hand, German Shepherd Yorkie mixes with long coats are recommended to be given a bath at least once a month. Their fur is also recommended to be brushed thrice a week to prevent tangles.
Tangles can cause their fur to mat, which makes them more difficult to groom. Consider investing in brushes and shampoo products that provide detangling features.
Moreover, clean your dog’s ears since the German Shepherd Yorkie mix has pointed ears that can cause dust and debris to cling to the fur around them.
Training and Exercise
The German Shepherd Yorkie mix is an active and outgoing dog that needs to spend energy daily. Luckily, this designer breed is highly receptive to training due to its intelligence.
Proper training from an early age can assist the owner in understanding the German Shepherd Yorkie mix breed’s personality. The reward system technique can be done to achieve this.
Apart from training, daily exercise is vital not only for the German Shepherd Yorkie mix but for other dog breeds as well. Exercising your pooch helps them prevent health problems like hip and elbow dysplasia.
How Much Does a German Shepherd Yorkie Mix Cost? Puppy Prices & Expenses
The German Shepherd Yorkie mix costs around $500 to $1,500. It’s a pricey crossbreed, given that intentional breeding of the German Shepherd Yorkie mix is still rare and only done by a few breeders.
Once you purchase a German Shepherd Yorkie mix, remember to ask the breeder for your pet’s health documents. You can check out our guide on buying puppies online safely if you purchase online.
Aside from the cost of the actual German Shepherd Yorkie mix, the table below also presents the expenses and initial costs you can expect as a new owner of this rare crossbreed:
|Type of Expense||Cost|
|Food and Treats||$80 – $100|
|Food and Water Bowls||$10 – $30|
|Bed||$40 – $180|
|Crate||$50 – $370|
|Leashes and Collars||$15 – $50|
|Toys||$30 – $40|
|Grooming Essentials||$40 – $160|
|Deworming, Flea, and Tick Medications||$50 – $200|
|Initial Vet Visits||$100 – $300|
|Initial Vaccine Shots||$75 – $200|
|Neutering or Spaying||$50 – $500|
|Dog License||$10 – $20|
|Microchip||$40 – $60|
|Miscellaneous Supplies||$15 – $30|
|Total Initial Cost||$605 – $2,240|
Plan your budget and consider both the pros and cons you might face in owning this hybrid. Budgeting ensures that you’ll be able to provide for the needs of your pooch, especially in the long run.
Places to Find German Shepherd Yorkie Mix Puppies for Sale and Adoption
Looking for German Shepherd Yorkie mixes might prove to be a challenging mission since this crossbreed is rare. Nonetheless, effort goes a long way, and with enough determination, you’ll be able to find one of your own.
Here are some reputable dog breeders that you can consider checking from time to time to see if there are any available German Shepherd Yorkie mixes for sale:
- Buckeye Puppies – Buckeye Puppies follows their mission of making the puppy-buying process as safe as possible for both the buyer and the breeder. Their platform has an efficient sorting system for people interested in looking for specific kinds of dogs, such as the German Shepherd Yorkie mix.
- Greenfield Puppies – Established in 2000, this platform prioritizes healthy breeding practices to ensure the quality of the puppies they sell. They even offer quality shipping services that make the process easier once you get your German Shepherd Yorkie mix.
- Lancaster Puppies – This listing platform aims to provide simple means of connecting buyers and breeders. Aside from having an efficient online sorting system, they give clients a chance to personally visit the breeders before buying. This ensures that you’re going to get a healthy and legitimate German Shepherd Yorkie mix.
You can also check out our extensive list of the best German Shepherd and Yorkshire Terrier breeders. Though these breeders focus on purebreds, you can still check their listings for available German Shepherd Yorkie mixes.
Aside from purchasing, you can also consider adopting a German Shepherd Yorkie mix instead. Our ultimate adoption guide can aid you in finding out more about the process of pet adoption and what to expect from it.
If you prefer adopting a German Shepherd Yorkie mix rather than buying one, here are several dog adoption shelters and rescue centers that you can check out:
- Yorkie Rescue of America – They are a volunteer rescue organization prioritizing Yorkshire Terriers and their mixes. They are currently based in Los Angeles, and they have numerous successful adoption stories you can check out to prove their legitimacy.
- Mid-Atlantic German Shepherd Rescue (MAGSR) – MAGSR is a non-profit rescue organization for the German Shepherd breed and its mixes. They are based throughout the Mid-Atlantic area. Since 1999, they have helped over 4,200 dogs find loving homes.
- German Shepherd Rescue & Adoptions (GSRA) – This adoption shelter is also another reliable rescue center for GSDs and their mixes. They have been in service for over 29 years, consistently proving their mission of providing dogs the care they deserve.
For more ways to adopt a German Shepherd Yorkie mix, check out our lists of the best German Shepherd and Yorkshire Terrier rescues. These listings focus on purebreds, but you can still check for mixes up for adoption.
Pros and Cons of Owning a Yorkshire Terrier German Shepherd Mix
Considering the advantages and disadvantages of owning a Yorkshire Terrier German Shepherd mix is a necessary step before making the big decision of actually getting one.
Here are the pros you can consider in owning a Yorkshire Terrier German Shepherd mix:
- Energetic companion: The German Shepherd Yorkie mix takes after its Yorkie parent breed in terms of being lively and feisty. Having a pooch like this crossbreed can bring joy to any home.
- High intelligence: Its well-stimulated mind allows it to develop tricks and antics that sets it apart from the crowd. The German Shepherd Yorkie mix is also smart enough to be receptive to training, making it more adaptable to daily routines and lifestyles for owners of this mix.
- Unique appearance: By inheriting the parent breeds’ notable features and characteristics, the German Shepherd Yorkie mixes can have varied looks from one another, making them unique. These differences come in the form of having a long or short coat style and various colorations.
Now that we have gone through the pros, it is still important to think about the possible cons that Yorkshire Terrier German Shepherd owners may experience:
- Difficult to find: As mentioned above, it is difficult to find breeders of the German Shepherd Yorkie mix due to the unlikely pairing of the parent breeds. However, with enough effort, it is still possible to own this rare designer breed by consulting different dog listing platforms and dog adoption shelters.
- Highly energetic: For some owners, the energetic personality of this hybrid might eventually become too much. Hence, it is important to consider if you are patient enough to train and compromise with your this energetic dog.
- Constant barking: The German Shepherd Yorkie mix is known for constantly barking, especially if there are strangers or small critters around. Families with small children, such as infants, should consider whether or not owning a German Shepherd Yorkie mix might clash with the needed silence at home.
The list above can help you rationally decide whether or not you’re really ready to make this energetic dog breed part of your home and lifestyle.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Yorkie German Shepherd Mixes Good Dogs?
Yorkie German Shepherds are good dogs. They have an incredibly loyal temperament that makes them perfect additions to families.
Their outgoing personality also makes them sociable dogs that can be introduced to other dogs and small children. However, they must be slowly introduced since they might get overly excited in the process.
Do Yorkie German Shepherd Mixes Shed?
Yorkie German Shepherd dogs mildly shed their fur, similar to the parent breeds, the German Shepherd and the Yorkshire Terrier.
Shedding is a natural occurrence for dogs, and it can be managed by making use of correct pet brushes and shampoos. Feel free to consult pet shops near you regarding the best products for managing shedding dog fur.
Are Yorkie German Shepherd Mixes Hypoallergenic?
Yorkie German Shepherd dogs are mildly hypoallergenic, thanks to their Yorkie ancestry. Nonetheless, the level of its hypoallergenic tendencies also depends on the coat style it inherits.
A longer coat will have more allergens compared to a shorter coat. Consult your pooch’s vet to receive guaranteed tips on managing your pet’s coat.
Final Thoughts: Is a Yorkie German Shepherd Mix the Right Dog for You?
The responsibility of owning a hybrid, such as the Yorkie German Shepherd mix, can be overwhelming at first. However, the joy that this loyal dog will bring to your life is surely an adventure worth experiencing.
This Yorkie German Shepherd mix is bound to tag along wherever you go and add energy to your home. With that, you’ll surely be looking forward to its numerous tricks and antics waiting to be flaunted.
So, what are your thoughts about the rare and unique German Shepherd Yorkie mix? Let us know in the comments section below!