|Height:||23 – 25 inches|
|Weight:||70 – 80 pounds|
|Lifespan:||10 – 15 years|
|Coat Colors:||Fawn, brindle, white, brown, gold, silver, spotted colors|
|Temperament:||Affectionate, clingy, protective, confident, assertive|
|Suitable for:||Active owners and experienced owners|
A Presa Canario Pitbull mix is a hybrid of two similar yet different dog breeds. This mix is a fascinating combination that may exhibit varying sizes and temperaments depending on dominant parent genes.
From its name alone, the Presa Canario Pitbull mix may seem like a vicious guard dog; however, you’d be surprised to know that this mix also makes an excellent companion.
If you’re curious about this majestic mix, you’re in the right place. This article contains everything you need to know about the Presa Canario Pitbull mix.
We will go through its history, health, and exercise needs, among others. Who knows, by the end, maybe you’ll fall in love with this hybrid and decide to open your home to one!
What Is a Presa Canario Pitbull Mix?
A Presa Canario Pitbull mix is a crossbreed between a Presa Canario and a Pitbull-type dog breed, usually an American Pit Bull Terrier. This mix has a strong-willed personality and the right balance of affection. Some say that this mix is intimidating, while others view them as the sweetest dogs.
Aside from the American Pit Bull Terrier, the Presa Canario Pitbull mixes can also have an American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, or American Bully parent.
Any one of these breeds, when mixed with a Presa Canario, will result in the so-called Presa Canario Pitbull mixes,
Although their parents are labeled dangerous and aggressive, the same cannot be said about the Presa Canario Pitbull mix. Like any breed, this mix has pros and cons to note, but they are incredibly loving pets.
This Presa Caranio Pitbull mix is an excellent companion regardless of the dominant parent gene. Their unwanted behaviors may only show if you do not know how to handle them and perform socialization activities and training.
Presa Canario Pitbull Mix Origin and History
The Presa Canario Pitbull mix usually comes from the natural breeding of Pitbulls and Presa Canarios, wherein the Pitbull is generally the sire. That said, many Presa Canario Pitbull mixes come from accidental breeding.
In addition, there are no specific details regarding the first-ever Presa Canario Pitbull mix, nor how they flourished into the dog world since both parents came from different sides of the world.
However, to get a broader picture of this mix, we can go through its parent’s histories.
The Perro de Presa Canario is a large dog from the Canary Islands. In fact, its name can directly be translated into “Canary catch dog.” They were bred to herd cattle and guard their flock.
In the mid-20s, Perro de Presa Canarios almost went extinct. However, their fanciers went hand in hand to bring the breed back. Today, they are used as guard dogs and are recognized by the American Kennel Club (AKC).
Pitbulls, on the other hand, were bred in England from fighting dogs and became known as one too. In fact, Pitbulls were known to be one of the most potent breeds in the line of dog fighting.
Today, they are widely accepted as companion dogs and have been recognized by the United Kennel Club (UKC) since 1898.
Unfortunately, in the case of the Presa Canario Pitbull mixes, recognition is still not possible. However, you may be able to register a Presa Canario Pitbull mix to hybrid dog clubs.
Presa Canario Pitbull Mix Appearance
A Presa Canario Pitbull mix is a large muscular dog with broad shoulders and big bones. Generally, Presa Canarios and Pitbulls look very similar physically. They only differ in size most of the time.
These hybrids’ appearance will usually look like an enormous Pitbull or a Presa Canario, slightly smaller than a purebred one. Like the Presa Canario, their heads are a bit more prominent than their bodies.
However, if the Presa Canario parent has solid black fur, some puppies in the litter could also acquire their coat because of color dominance. They also have short coats from both parent breeds.
If uncropped, this hybrid has large floppy ears. However, some pet owners admit to ear cropping to achieve a more distinct and intimidating look. However, many countries forbid it due to ethical reasons.
Overall, a Presa Canario Pitbull’s appearance is scary or stunning, depending on people’s perception of these two words.
Presa Canario Pitbull Mix Size and Weight
Presa Canario Pitbull mixes have an average size of 23 to 25 inches tall and can weigh between 70 and 80 pounds. However, this may depend on several factors such as genetics, nutrition, and environmental upbringing.
The Presa Canario and the Pitbull have an extensive size and weight gap from each other, so you can expect their hybrid litter to exhibit the weight and size of the more dominant parent or just the average of both.
In addition, Presa Canario Pitbull mixes can reach their full-grown size at 12 months.
However, they can still grow a few more inches and weigh more pounds as they age. That’s why they are more suitable in ample-sized homes with large backyards.
Presa Canario Pitbull Mix Temperament and Personality
The personality of a Presa Canario Pitbull mix is usually a mix of the Presa Canario and Pitbull. Generally, it inherits the parent breeds’ best traits and temperament.
You can expect Presa Canario Pitbull hybrids to have a strong but trainable personality. They are confident with the tendency to become arrogant. However, they are genuinely affectionate to their families.
Presa Canario Pitbulls are loyal and territorial. They usually get their fierce and protective side from their Presa Canario parent. At the same time, they maintain their sweetness and clinginess inherited from Pitbulls.
Moreover, since both parent breeds have a history of being intimidating and aggressive, you should make them understand that you are the alpha of the pack.
These dogs can be vicious if they think they are the leader and may boss you around. However, they are much easier to control than the purebred Presa since they have the Pitbull’s ability to please people.
In addition, Presa Canario Pitbull mixes are distrusting of strangers and may take a while to warm up to unfamiliar faces. But with proper socialization and training, they quickly learn how to behave appropriately in different situations.
They are excellent guards that will defend you from any threat. Once they know their human, you can expect them to be fantastic loyal companions.
Aside from being fierce guards, this mix also knows how to take things lightly and have a good time.
For instance, watch this adorable video of a Presa Canario Pitbull mix playing with water:
READ NEXT: Male vs. Female Pitbull: Which Is Better?
Presa Canario Pitbull Mix Lifespan and Health Issues
On average, the life expectancy of a Presa Canario Pitbull mix is around 10 to 15 years. This mix has a comparable lifespan with some of the Pitbull breeds and the Presa Canario.
However, no matter how meticulous we are in taking care of Presa Canario Pitbulls, they may still be prone to certain illnesses, especially genetically-acquired ones.
Here’s a list of diseases common in Presa Canario Pitbull mixes:
- Hip Dysplasia: Since a Presa Canario Pitbull mix is a large dog, they are usually prone to hip dysplasia. This genetic condition is exhibited through the malformation of the dog’s hip bone, resulting in pain and immobility.
- Elbow Dysplasia: Like hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia is commonly found in large dogs. This is also a genetically acquired health issue caused by a misalignment in a dog’s elbow, leading to limping, pain, and immobility.
- Bloat: Bloat or stomach distension is an emergency case when a dog’s stomach twists when air is accumulated. This health issue has no remedy other than rushing your pet to the vet. If untreated, this condition will cut off blood supply and can lead to death.
- Obesity: Presa Canario Pitbull mixes have large appetites and require daily physical stimulation. Giving them too much food or treats and not providing enough exercise can lead to obesity. This condition is exhibited through excess body weight and fat.
- Entropion: Entropion happens when the eyelids of the dog roll inward. This causes the eyelashes to rub against the cornea, resulting in pain, irritation, and eye ulceration. In worst cases, the dog may not be able to open its eyes and may require surgery.
Different factors affect the health of a Presa Canario Pitbull mix. Among the most important are nutrition and genetics. Regularly taking your dog to the vet is also an important factor affecting its well-being.
How to Take Care of Your Pitbull Presa Canario Mix
Owning a Presa Canario Pitbull mix can be pretty tough given their massive size and firm attitude. Since the hybrid comes from dominant parent breeds, aspiring owners must know how to effectively raise, treat, and handle them.
To give you a headstart, here are some must-know tips on taking care of your Presa Canario Pitbull mix.
Food and Diet
Like their Presa Canario and Pitbull parents, these dogs have big appetites. However, that doesn’t mean you just feed them all the time. Their diet must be high in protein with the right amount of carbohydrates and fats.
In addition, a Presa Canario Pitbull puppy has different dietary needs than adults. Plus, they are much more energetic.
In line with this, puppies should be fed four equally divided meals daily. While adult dogs would require a good-quality feeding regimen of at least two to three times a day.
Moreover, if you switch dog food or transition puppy food to adult kibble, make sure you change it gradually to avoid stomach upsets.
Cleaning and Grooming
A Presa Canario Pitbull mix doesn’t require much grooming. They have short hair with no undercoats, so they do not shed too heavily. Moreover, they do not have tendencies to have strong body odors.
Brushing them daily is enough to keep their coats soft and healthy. You can bathe them as needed or once a month to keep them neat. However, if they play outside, make sure you wipe their paws before they enter your house.
In addition, daily tooth brushing is a must to keep their teeth strong and healthy. You can also give dental sticks or chews occasionally since this can help remove plaque.
Regular ear cleaning is also advised to prevent any bacterial growth or infection. In addition, clipping their nails at least once a month is recommended to keep them comfortable and pain-free in walks and runs.
Training and Exercise
The Presa Canario Pitbull mix is intelligent and loves working. Hence, training and exercise are not much of a problem. However, they may assert dominance so it is best if you are firm with them in every session.
Moreover, it is highly recommended that you train and socialize Presa Canario Pitbull mixes at a young age as they are less stubborn, easier to control, and more eager to learn.
Usually, they respond to positive reinforcement and rewards such as their favorite toy or a few treats. You can also reach out to reputable dog trainers in your area if you need some help.
In addition, Presa Canario Pitbulls are energetic dogs and require at least 60 minutes of exercise and stimulation. Do not limit them to simple walks. They are more into agility courses, jogging, and frisbee.
How Much Does a Presa Canario Pitbull Mix Cost? Puppy Prices and Expenses
A Presa Canario Pitbull mix may be acquired at around $600 to $1,500 from a reputable breeder. However, they can go as high as $2,000 depending on various factors such as bloodline.
Keep in mind, however, that the puppy’s cost is just the start of the pet expenses. You will also need to purchase essential items for your Presa Canario Pitbull mix.
Here’s an overview of the initial expenses of owning a Presa Canario Pitbull mix:
|Type of Expense||Cost|
|Food and Treats||$100 – $120|
|Food and Water Bowls||$15 – $35|
|Bed||$50 – $200|
|Crate||$60 – $500|
|Leashes and Collars||$15 – $50|
|Toys||$30 – $50|
|Grooming Essentials||$40 – $180|
|Deworming, Flea, and Tick Medications||$50 – $200|
|Initial Vet Visits||$100 – $300|
|Initial Vaccine Shots||$75 – $200|
|Neutering or Spaying||$50 – $500|
|Dog License||$10 – $20|
|Microchip||$40 – $60|
|Miscellaneous Supplies||$15 – $30|
|Total Initial Cost||$650 – $2,445|
A Presa Canario Pitbull is not easy to deal with, so it’s best that you’re fully committed to them, especially financially. Moreover, investing in their vital needs to keep them healthy is one of the traits of a responsible owner.
As early as now, you must be able to sit down with all of the factors of having a Presa Canario Pitbull mix to minimize the risk of abandonment and neglect cases in the future.
Places to Find Presa Canario Pitbull Mix Puppies for Sale and Adoption
Currently, there are no breeders that specialize in breeding Presa Canario Pitbull puppies. They are not that common to find as well, so you may need extra patience in searching for them.
To help you in your journey, here are a few reputable places wherein you can find a Presa Canario Pitbull mix:
- Lancaster Puppies – This puppy listing website ensures that posted puppies are from reputable breeders, and they exist to find loving homes for all dog breeds and hybrids, including Presa Canario and Pitbull mixes.
- Greenfield Puppies – Greenfield puppies is another puppy listing site that has been finding loving homes for puppies for over a decade. They have various breeds and mixed breeds, and one may be a Presa Canario Pitbull mix. Try to check out their website from time to time.
- Keystone Puppies – This advertising website only lists puppies from accredited breeders to ensure health and quality. Usually, they have Presa Canario and Pitbull mixes, but you have to act fast as these dogs are unique and sell out fast. You may contact breeders directly on the website.
Aside from the places mentioned above, you can also join online communities to gather information or ask your local veterinarian for recommendations. Just stay away from puppy mills and backyard breeders.
At the same time, if you prefer adopting a Presa Canario Pitbull mix, here’s a list of rescues and shelters to check out:
- Bullpen Rescue – This sanctuary is a great place to start looking for your new pet. It is built to provide premium quality food, shelter, rehabilitation, and veterinary care to neglected and surrendered large pets such as Pitbulls, Presa Canarios, and their mixes.
- Petfinder – Petfinder is an adoption website where users can browse through adoptable pets. This platform has an extensive database of dogs, including Presa Canarios Pitbulls mixes.
- Biggies Bullies – Biggies Bullies is a foster home-based rescue organization that prioritizes saving and rehoming Pitbulls and other Pitbull-type breeds, including mixes. Moreover, they exist to educate the public against irresponsible breeding, abandonment, neglect, and animal cruelty.
Furthermore, before you get excited about acquiring your Presa Canario Pitbull mix from a breeder or rescue organization, check out our guides on how to adopt a dog and purchase a puppy for more tips.
Pros and Cons of Owning a Pitbull Presa Canario Mix
It’s best to know if you are a perfect match for a Presa Canario Pitbull mix before going out to get one. To help you weigh things, this section will discuss the pros and cons of owning a Presa Canario Pitbull mix.
Here are a few pros of opening your home to a Presa Canario Pitbull mix:
- Excellent guard dogs: A Presa Canario Pitbull mix is an ultimately loyal dog once it recognizes its family. Therefore, they would usually do anything to protect their owners and their home no matter what. They will defend and attack if necessary, just to keep everyone safe.
- Low grooming maintenance: Presa Canario Pitbull hybrids are not heavy shedders and do not need an intensive grooming routine. A simple bath and regular brushing are enough to keep their furs healthy.
- Affectionate to their owners: Thanks to its Pitbull parent, a Presa Canario Pitbull is tough but has a sweet spot for its family. Despite their vicious breed history, they will cuddle and show love to their owners, including kids.
- Natural head-turner: Presa Canario Pitbulls are unique pooches. Walk with them in the park, and you’ll see people turning their heads to glance at your dog. Aside from their size, they are hard to miss because of their strong form and majestic appearance.
In contrast, here is a list of cons of having a Presa Canario Pitbull mix as a pet:
- Limited sources: Presa Canario Pitbulls are not easy to find since they are incredibly unique. You may need a lot of patience, effort, and luck to find one. Currently, there are no breeders specified for breeding this mix. They are also most likely to be a product of accidental breeding, so you can’t expect your search to be an easy one.
- Tremendous bite force: Socialization is vital in Presa Canario Pitbulls because it can hurt people, even accidentally. These dogs are not for the faint heart; they can attack if they are not adequately trained.
- Requires a firm owner: Presa Canario Pitbulls may be assertive if you spoil them too much. It is crucial to be firm with them because they can challenge you for the alpha position, and once you lose it, you will have difficulty controlling them or making them respect you.
- Short average lifespan: Since they are large dogs, it is most likely for Presa Canario Pitbulls to have short lifespans. They also grow rapidly compared to other mixes. It’s best to be there as much as you can and make memories with them while time permits you.
Knowing the different pros and cons is essential before acquiring any dog. You must assess your capabilities in handling a Presa Canario Pitbull mix early, so you would know if you are a fit owner for them.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Presa Canarios Related to Pitbulls?
Presa Canarios and Pitbulls may look closely similar and may have comparable histories. However, they hail from opposite sides of the globe, making them unrelated to each other.
The Presa Canarios is a Spanish breed from the Canary Islands, while the Pitbull is from England. They were also bred for different skillsets.
Are Presa Canario Pitbull Mixes Aggressive?
Since both parent breeds tend to exhibit aggression, you can expect the Presa Canario Pitbull to have moments too. However, they are much more laid back, and with proper socialization, they are easy to control.
Do Presa Canario Pitbull Mixes Shed a Lot?
Presa Canario Pitbull mixes do not shed a lot. They are pretty average shedders and have short hair without any undercoat, making them easier to groom and maintain.
Are Presa Canario Pitbull Mixes Hypoallergenic?
Unfortunately, Presa Canario Pitbulls are not hypoallergenic dogs. So it’s best to consult your doctor first before acquiring one if you have allergies or sensitivities to fur and dander.
Final Thoughts: Is a Pitbull Presa Canario Mix the Right Dog for You?
Presa Canario Pitbull mixes have pros and cons, just like any other dog breed. They are large dogs with solid personalities and fascinating appearances.
Moreover, Presa Canario Pitbull mixes are ideal as guard dogs and protectors. They are fiercely loyal and will do anything to protect you. However, they must first recognize who their families are as they can become dominant at times.
With proper socialization and enough effort in training them, they are ideal family companions. Overall, they are capable of showing love and affection to those who care for them.
Do you have what it takes to own this mix? Let us know your thoughts about the Presa Canario Pitbull mix in the comments below.