|Height:||8 – 15 inches|
|Weight:||10 – 18 pounds|
|Lifespan:||12 – 16 years|
|Coat colors:||White, tan, black|
|Temperament:||Gentle and playful|
|Suitable For:||Apartment living; active singles and families with kids|
The Jack Russell Maltese mix is another hybrid that you will definitely adore! Its parent breeds may have opposite personalities, but this pooch makes a perfect combination of playfulness, gentleness, and bravery.
Although it is not sure which parent it will take after, a Jack Russell Terrier Maltese mix is expected to be calm but playful. It loves playing with its humans and doesn’t appreciate being left alone.
In this article, you will learn everything you need to know about the Jack Russell Maltese mix. From its origin, maintenance, prices, temperament, and frequently asked questions, we got it covered!
What Is a Jack Russell Terrier Maltese Mix?
A Jack Russell Maltese mix, also called the Jacktese, is a cross between a purebred Jack Russell Terrier and a Maltese. It is a small-sized dog with a big personality. The Jack Russell Terrier Maltese mix is friendly and gentle but is fearlessly protective of its family.
Jack Russell Maltese mixes are known for their easy-going and gentle personality. Having the friendly Maltese as its parent, this pooch is expected to get along well with other dogs and humans.
The Jacktese should not be underestimated because it has its own share of courage within. Its Jack Russell Terrier traits will certainly manifest once this pooch is provoked or its human is in danger.
Jack Russell Terrier Maltese Mix Origin and History: Where Does the Jacktese Come From?
Although the Jack Russell Maltese mix has become a popular breed in the United States, there isn’t much information about its history. That’s why its origin goes back to its parent breeds, the Maltese and Jack Russell.
The Maltese breed has been existing for over two millennia, but its exact origin is not known. Some experts say that this breed came from Malta and is a descendent of the spitz or the spaniel.
Throughout the years, breeders have crossed the Maltese with other breeds in order to maintain their genetic pool. And this is one reason we have the lovely Jacktese today.
The other parent breed, the Jack Russell Terrier, was originally bred for fox hunting by Reverend John Russell. Today, mixes with this breed are highly energetic and intelligent.
Check out this video to see a playful and gorgeous Jack Russell Terrier Maltese mix in action:
Jack Russell Terrier Maltese Mix Appearance: What Does a Jacktese Look Like?
The Jack Russell Maltese mix is a famous toy breed because of its size and lovely coat. It is usually short to medium-haired, but this will depend on which traits of its parents it inherited more.
You may also find a Jack Russell Terrier Maltese mix with a longer coat. This may be because one of its parents is the long-haired Jack Russell Terrier. Its coat is usually pure white since the coat of the Maltese is usually white.
There are also some Jack Russell Maltese mixes with a combination of white and black coat, and sometimes, a pure black coat. This can be because of the black Maltese, a unique variety of the Maltese.
The Jack Russell Maltese mix may either have wavy or coarse fur, depending on which parent it inherited more. It has round, brown eyes, and its snout is black.
This lovely ball of fluff has cute triangular ears pointing downwards and also sports a medium-length tail. The Jacktese perfectly combines the pleasant features of both parent breeds.
Jack Russell Terrier Maltese Mix Size and Weight: How Big Do Jackteses Get?
A Jack Russell Maltese mix usually grows from 8 to 15 inches at the shoulder and weighs 10 to 18 pounds. Since both parents are small, the Jack Russell Terrier mix is typically small and will not grow bigger than the Jack Russell.
A Jacktese will usually stop growing at the age of 12 to 15 months. Depending on their diet, daily activities, and health status, they may be bigger or smaller than the usual adult Jacktese.
Because of their size, they are considered toy dogs or lapdogs. They have the perfect size to snuggle on your lap. You may check out our article about the growth curve and weight of Maltese for more info!
Jack Russell Terrier Maltese Mix Temperament: Are Jackteses Good Family Dogs?
The Jack Russell Terrier Maltese mix will make an excellent family dog because of its perfect mixture of traits from its Jack Russell and Maltese parents. It is a sweet and affectionate companion but a brave guard dog.
Its Maltese parent is known for its gentle and trusting personality, while its Jack Russell parent is a hunter and high-spirited. The Jacktese will be a combination of these wonderful personalities.
Although there is no way to determine which traits from both parents will be dominant to a Jack Russell Maltese mix puppy, its environment while growing up will affect its temperament.
A female Jacktese may exhibit alpha behavior in contrast to its male counterpart. You may check out our article about the difference between a male and a female Maltese to better understand this trait.
A Jack Russell Maltese mix can easily adapt and get along well with other dogs and pets at home. Early socialization is important to train your dog to be friendly with others.
READ NEXT: Male vs. Female Maltese: Which Is Better?
Jack Russell Terrier Maltese Mix Lifespan and Health Issues: Are Jackteses Healthy Dogs?
A Jack Russell Terrier Maltese mix can live for 12 to 16 years, relatively similar to its Jack Russell Terrier parent. This mix is also less prone to serious medical issues because of the so-called hybrid vigor.
However, its parent breeds are prone to some health issues, so it is still possible that the mix may inherit these health problems. It is important to have this pooch regularly checked to prevent any health problems.
The list below enumerates some of the health problems that a Jack Russell Maltese mix may inherit from its parents:
- Periodontal Disease: This is a disease that affects the oral health of your pooch. If your Jacktese is not given proper oral hygiene, bacteria and food debris will pile up on its gums, causing bad breath, bleeding and gum erosion, and loss of teeth which are common symptoms of periodontal disease.
- Bladder Stones: Bladder stones are the crystals formed in your dog’s urinary bladder. This happens when your Jack Russell Terrier Maltese dog is not given enough clean drinking water if they are given foods with high sodium content, and when they are not given a regular schedule to go out and urinate.
- Luxating Patella: This is a condition where your dog’s kneecap is dislocated from the femur. Luxating patella will cause your dog to hop on one leg while walking. This can be very painful for affected Jack Russell Terrier Maltese mixes.
- Deafness: Deafness is a condition that can be congenital or present at birth. Your Jacktese may develop it because of trauma, infection, and degeneration of the cochlea.
It is important that a Jack Russell Maltese mix puppy is checked early and given the right medical attention in order to prevent these conditions. Early detection will also help in reversing these health problems.
How to Take Care of Your Maltese Jack Russell Terrier Mix
Showing affection and snuggling with your Jack Russell Terrier Maltese is not enough. It is also important that you know how to take care of your pooch in order to keep it in good shape.
The list below will give you the information that you need on how to care for your Jacktese. From feeding it with the right food, grooming, and training, it’s all here!
Food and Diet
Although the Jack Russell Terrier Maltese mix is a cute ball of fur, this breed is very active. For this reason, its diet must be complete with the right amount of vitamins and minerals in order to replenish its energy.
While each meal must be tailored to the dog’s needs, it will help to include fish oil, glucosamine, and chondroitin in a Jack Russell Maltese mix diet. This is to help prevent any bone problems in the future.
A Jack Russell Maltese mix must be fed with one to two cups of quality dog food, divided into two servings per day. It is not recommended to give it table scraps because this may lead to begging behaviors and health issues.
However, it is best to consult your veterinarian about the specific amount of food you may feed your dog. This is to prevent your dog from getting overweight, which may lead to several health problems in the future.
You may also check out our article about the different foods that a Maltese can and cannot eat.
Cleaning and Grooming
It is hard to predict whether a Jack Russell Maltese mix will inherit the Maltese or the Jack Russell Terrier’s coat. Either way, it is best to invest in a high-quality grooming kit and vacuum for managing loose fur.
The Jack Russell Maltese mix may shed occasionally, so brushing their coat regularly is recommended. This will not only help manage shedding, but it will also help in maintaining the natural oils in the dog’s coat.
If your Jacktese inherited more from its Maltese parent, it is recommended that its coat be brushed 2 to 3 times a week. If it has a shorter coat, brushing it once a week is still needed.
Bathing should not be done too often, as this may dry the skin and the coat of your fur baby. However, washing with water and shampooing must be done if your pooch accidentally rolled on dirt or if the weather is too hot.
Bathing your Jack Russell Maltese mix every three weeks should be enough to prevent its coat from matting and to avoid dirt and bacteria from accumulating.
Training and Exercise
The Jack Russell Terrier Maltese mix requires light to moderate physical exercises and some mental activities to keep its mind and body in good shape.
A 30-minute walk should be enough to exercise your Jack Russell Terrier Maltese mix. Indoor playtime will also be appreciated by this little ball of fur.
You may also check out our quick guide on how to potty train a Maltese puppy!
How Much Does a Maltese Jack Russell Terrier Mix Cost? Puppy Prices & Expenses
A Jack Russell Maltese mix puppy costs about $250 to $800. Aside from this, you must also prepare a budget for other expenses that will definitely occur when taking in a puppy.
The table below will give you an overview of the expenses when taking care of a Jack Russell Terrier Maltese mix:
|Type of Expense||Cost|
|Food and Treats||$50 – $80|
|Food and Water Bowls||$10 – $25|
|Bed||$30 – $150|
|Crate||$30 – $200|
|Leashes and Collars||$15 – $50|
|Toys||$20 – $30|
|Grooming Essentials||$30 – $150|
|Deworming, Flea, and Tick Medications||$50 – $200|
|Initial Vet Visits||$100 – $300|
|Initial Vaccine Shots||$75 – $200|
|Neutering or Spaying||$50 – $500|
|Dog License||$10 – $20|
|Microchip||$40 – $60|
|Miscellaneous Supplies||$15 – $30|
|Total Initial Cost||$525 – $1,995|
Aside from food, vet visits, and other essentials that your pooch will need, you must also prepare a separate budget for medical emergencies and other potential costs.
To have an idea about how much to prepare, you may refer to our guide on the cost of owning a Maltese.
Places to Find Jack Russell Maltese Mix Puppies for Sale and Adoption
Crossbreed dogs are just as lovable and loyal as purebred dogs. If you are looking into getting a Jack Russell Maltese mix puppy, the list below can help you find the newest member of your family.
But before you dig in, always keep in mind that you must get your puppy from a trusted breeder. Make it a habit to visit the kennel in order to see the living condition of their dogs.
This is to check if the kennel is practicing humane breeding practices. You don’t want to deal with puppy farms where dogs are forced to breed and live in unhealthy environments.
Below is a list of websites that advertise different breeds of dogs, including the Jack Russell Maltese mix:
- Lancaster Puppies – This is a website that aims to connect breeders and their purebred and mixed breed puppies to loving and committed dog owners. They make sure that the breeders on their website hold the required licenses for breeding. Make sure to check out their listings for a Jack Russell Maltese mix.
- Keystone Puppies – This is a website that advertises different breeds, including Jack Russell mixes. This platform makes sure that the breeders on their website are legitimate by conducting surprise inspections twice a year.
- Buck Eye Puppies – This website advertises Jack Russell mix puppies. However, they do not have shipping services. This website caters to buyers from Ohio, Indiana, and Michigan. They also conduct regular monitoring of their advertisements. They ban breeders who are proven to be puppy mills.
If you are still having a hard time choosing a breeder or buying a puppy, you may check out our puppy buying guide. This will help you buy a puppy online safely because we don’t want you to end up dealing with a puppy mill.
If you still can’t find the right pooch for you. You may also check out our top picks for Maltese breeders! This list will surely help you in finding the right puppy for you without worrying that it is a puppy mill.
While Jack Russell Terrier Maltese mixes are adorable, there are unfortunate events that make them end up in shelters.
The list of shelters below are rescue organizations where you might find a Jack Russell Maltese mix for adoption:
- Mid-Atlantic Jack Rescue, Inc. – This is a rescue group dedicated to helping Jack Russell Terriers and their mixes find their new forever homes. They have their rescues fostered until they find a suitable home for them.
- American Maltese Association Rescue – This organization comprises volunteers dedicated to rescuing, re-homing, training, and treating abandoned Jack Russell Terriers and their mixes. Aside from fostering, they also accept sponsorships for these lovely angels.
- Adopt-a-Pet – This is a website that connects neglected animals, including the Jack Russell Maltese mix, to their prospective new homes. Recently, they have a new feature on their site where they can send you alerts when there is a new adoptable dog available.
Always remember that getting a dog is a lifetime responsibility. Never get one if you think you cannot keep this commitment. This is to avoid neglect and abandonment of these beautiful canines.
If you still cannot find the right Jack Russell Maltese mix from the list above, you may also try to check out our top ten picks for the best Maltese rescues for adoption!
Pros and Cons of Owning a Maltese Jack Russell Terrier Mix
Just like any other breed, having a Jack Russell Terrier Maltese mix at home also has pros and cons. If you are still thinking about getting this breed, this list can help you decide.
First on the list are the advantages of having a Jack Russell Terrier mix at home:
- Excellent family dog: The Jack Russell Maltese mix will adapt well in a big yard or in apartment living. With the energy of this dog, it will be a great playmate for older kids.
- Easy to groom: This breed is easy to groom. It doesn’t need frequent baths unless it played in the mud or accidentally rolled on its poop. However, the nails need to be regularly trimmed.
- Intelligent mixed breed: The intelligence of its parent breeds will surely be exhibited by the Jack Russell Maltese mix puppy. This mix is easy to train and will adapt to other pets as long as it is properly trained and socialized.
If you want to know if Malteses are good with other dogs, check out our article about this lovely pooch on our website!
Now let’s talk about the cons of having the energetic Jack Russell Maltese mix at home:
- Energetic dog: This mixed breed loves to play and requires regular physical exercises and mental stimulation activities. This is to avoid making this dog bored and frustrated. Destructive behaviors develop when they are not given the right avenue to let out its energy and intelligence.
- Tend to bark a lot: The Jack Russell Maltese mix is not recommended to be left outdoors because it has the tendency to bark even at the slightest sound. Obedience training is important in order to manage this trait.
- Can be aggressive: A female Maltese can be territorial and may have a tendency to bite, while the Jack Russell may be aloof with strangers and other dogs. This trait can be passed down to the mix. Early socialization is important if you are planning to get this mix and you have other pets in the house.
This list may go on and on, but it all boils down to knowing the personality of the breed you are getting and if you can meet all of its needs. This mix is best suitable for an experienced dog owner.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do Jack Russell Terrier Maltese Mixes Bark?
It is normal for any dog to bark. However, the Jack Russell Maltese mix has the tendency to be yappy. It may sometimes bark even at the slightest noise.
This intelligent breed is very alert, making it curious about anything that moves or with any sound.
It must not be left alone outdoors, especially for long periods. You don’t want your neighbor knocking on your door just to complain.
Do Maltese Jack Russells Shed a Lot?
The Jack Russell Terrier Maltese mix will definitely shed from time to time, depending on the season. Brushing the coat may help control the shedding, but it will not prevent it.
Do not shampoo your dog too often because this may cause drying of the coat, which may only worsen the shedding.
Are Jack Russell Terrier Maltese Mixes Hypoallergenic?
No, this breed is a moderate shedder and may cause allergic reactions to people who cannot tolerate dander. This is another thing you must consider if you plan to get this dog.
Invest in a good vacuum and regularly clean its crate and bed in order to reduce allergens at home.
Final Thoughts: Is a Jack Russell Maltese Mix the Right Dog for You?
If you can devote time to training and taking care of a Jack Russell Maltese mix, then this breed is right for you. Aside from regular exercises, routine health checks are also necessary when getting a dog.
Always be vigilant when talking to a breeder because you don’t want to fall victim to puppy mills. However, we recommend adopting a puppy and providing a new loving home to abandoned animals.
Having a dog is not just about having a cute puppy you can show off to your friends. It is a responsibility and a commitment you must keep.
Do you own this wonderful hybrid? Leave a comment and share with us your opinions and experiences about the Jack Russell Maltese mix below!