How much does a teacup Yorkie cost? If you’re not aware, teacup Yorkie puppies are usually more expensive than the standard Yorkshire Terrier. The reason for this is straightforward: they are small dogs.
Even so, there are many factors that a potential owner should consider that may affect the puppy price of a teacup Yorkie alone. This includes the pup’s age, bloodline, breeder, and many more.
Keep reading to learn more about these costs and additional expenses associated with these small and cuddly canines.
The Average Cost of a Teacup Yorkie Puppy
A teacup Yorkie puppy from reputable breeders can cost anywhere between $1,000 and $3,000. Some teacup Yorkie puppies may cost as much as $5,000 if they come from a show-winning bloodline.
In the United States, the teacup Yorkie is one of the most popular teacup dog breeds. However, teacup Yorkies are more affordable than the teacup Pomeranian and the teacup Poodle, with a price difference of $500.
Compared to the price of a standard Yorkie Terrier, teacup Yorkies are much more expensive by hundreds of dollars despite being smaller dogs.
This is understandable given that most breeders don’t take the risk of breeding such a tiny dog. These teacup dogs have only a maximum weight of less than four pounds, resulting in more challenging breeding practices.
To learn more about this teacup breed, check out this video about owning a teacup Yorkie:
Factors Affecting the Cost of a Teacup Yorkie Puppy
Aside from the popularity of a Yorkshire Terrier, the demand for its “teacup” variety is often used by the breeders to charge a higher price for this pup.
However, there are other reasons why teacup Yorkies are more expensive than other small dogs.
Here are the different factors that affect the teacup Yorkie price:
- Bloodline: The most important aspect influencing a puppy’s pricing is its lineage. The quality and traits of teacup Yorkies are determined by the parent breed. Breeders often use American Kennel Club champions for breeding to produce award-winning puppies that might cost up to $10,000.
- Coat: In the breed standard of Yorkshire Terriers, the American Kennel Club only recognizes four coat colors, and their coat must be shiny, fine, and silky in texture. If your teacup puppy’s coat is coarser, they may be available for a lower price. If you purchase one that adheres to the breed’s standard, you can expect to pay more.
- Gender: Typically, female teacup Yorkies cost more than males. This is usually because females are more in demand than males, and they are often preferred by those who wish to reproduce puppies.
- Breeder’s Reputation: Purchasing a teacup Yorkie from a reputable breeder is advised since they can guarantee the quality of the puppy for sale. Professionals with extensive breeding expertise will charge a higher price than puppy mills and backyard breeders.
- Health Guarantees: These are premiums charged by most breeders that guarantee the health of your teacup Yorkie puppy. This may be in the form of refunds or health insurance coverage.
- Registration Papers: Registered teacup Yorkshire puppies cost more than unregistered ones. These documents will help you understand your dog’s ancestry and guarantee the hereditary characteristics of your teacup Yorkie.
As dog lovers, considering these factors will help you understand what goes into the price of a teacup Yorkie when bought from a professional breeder.
By knowing these aspects, you can purchase the best puppy in terms of health and appearance for a reasonable price tag. You can also avoid being scammed by breeders with unethical breeding practices.
How Much Does It Cost to Adopt a Teacup Yorkie From a Rescue?
On average, the adoption fee for a typical companion Yorkie can cost around $400. However, this price does vary and can range between $250 and $700, depending on the shelter or rescue you choose.
If you don’t have enough budget for teacup Yorkies, adopting is the best way of saving a significant amount of money. The price for these rescue dogs is notably less expensive than purchasing one from a reputable breeder.
However, you should keep in mind the consequences of getting a teacup Yorkie from these places. Unlike with a reputable breeder, you can’t be too confident about the quality of your dog.
In most cases, rescues shoulder the medical expenses of their rescues, especially if they are in bad health conditions.
If not, you will have to pay additional expenses for vet fees to evaluate their health before bringing them home.
On the bright side, if you adopt an adult teacup Yorkshire Terrier, it is likely that the dog has already been neutered or spayed, so you can subtract this fee from your total teacup Yorkie cost.
Initial Cost of Teacup Yorkie Ownership
As a teacup Yorkshire Terrier owner, you should be aware of the initial costs of owning these dogs. If you have previous experience with pets, you probably have an idea of what you must have before bringing your new pet home.
On the other hand, if you are new pet parents, this may be something you’re not familiar with and should be aware of.
Below are the initial costs to consider when buying your first teacup Yorkshire Terrier:
- Food and Treats: Like other dog breeds, teacup Yorkies need to be fed with high-quality kibble for the best nutritional value. However, you must be aware of the appropriate amount of food and treats to offer these dogs to avoid overfeeding them. A bag of high-quality dog food and treats will cost you between $50 and $80.
- Food and Water Bowls: When it comes to feeding bowls for your teacup Yorkie, you have a lot of options. The size of the bowl, however, should be considered. Because they are teacups, a plus-size feeding bowl may not be appropriate. A pair of high-quality feeding bowls costs between $10 and $25.
- Bed: Choosing a high-quality dog bed is the first step toward providing your teacup Yorkie with a comfy place to sleep every day. Although they are small-sized, you may choose a larger bed for them to have more space. A teacup Yorkie bed ranges in price from $30 to $150.
- Crate: Although teacup Yorkies are not considered destructive dogs, having a crate for your puppy will help you keep control of any unwanted behavior. By selecting the appropriate size, you can ensure that they can stretch out, stand up, and turn around securely within its interior. Setting up a large, robust dog crate will cost between $30 and $200.
- Leashes and Collars: Invest in a high-quality leash and collar for your teacup Yorkie, as they can be mischievous dogs when you walk or train them outside. A sturdy, rust-proof leash and collar will cost you between $15 and $50.
- Toys: When you have to leave your teacup Yorkie at home, toys help them pass the time and provide comfort when they are anxious. Toys can prevent your dog from developing certain undesirable traits. Investing in a high-quality toy would cost between $20 and $30 per piece.
- Grooming Essentials: Teacup Yorkies do not shed much, but they do require regular brushing and an occasional bath to maintain their long silky coats. Regular nail trimming and ear cleaning would also be required to keep them comfortable. A high-quality dog brush, organic dog shampoo, sharp nail trimmer, and other grooming supplies cost between $30 and $150.
- Deworming, Flea, and Tick Medications: Because teacup Yorkies have long coats, they are susceptible to infectious skin parasites. Preventive treatments are required to keep your dog from being infested with parasites. Before purchasing any medication for your pet’s health care, consult first with a veterinarian. These would cost between $50 and $200.
- Initial Vet Visits: You should see your veterinarian during the first month of owning your teacup Yorkie. Vets typically undertake a preliminary health check to determine whether their dog has any hidden health problems. Depending on the consultation, vet bills might range from $100 to $300.
- Initial Vaccine Shots: Usually, teacup Yorkie puppies for sale or adoption have had their first set of vaccinations. However, if yours doesn’t, you’ll need to shoulder these fees. The cost of initial vaccine shots for a teacup Yorkie range between $75 and $200.
- Neutering or Spaying: There are various advantages to having your dog spayed or neutered. Spaying and neutering help avoid unwanted litter, prevent some significant health problems, and may help to lessen many of the behavioral issues linked with the mating instinct. The cost of surgery often ranges between $50 and $500.
- Dog License: If your teacup Yorkie is fond of wandering the streets, a dog license is a must-have. A dog license tag helps animal control and shelters swiftly identify your dog and safely return it to you. Expect to pay $10 to $20 for a dog license.
- Microchip: Aside from the dog license, a microchip would be advantageous because it provides a permanent identity for your pet and increases their chances of being reunited with you if they go missing. Your dog can be microchipped at your local vet facility for about $40 to $60.
- Miscellaneous Supplies: Other than the items mentioned, you also need to buy some extras for your teacup Yorkie. This includes poop bags, poop scoopers, potty inducers, and a lot more. These items will cost you between $15 and $30.
Here is the summary of what we’ve discussed on the initial costs of owning a teacup Yorkshire Terrier:
|Type of Expense||Cost|
|Food and Treats||$50 – $80|
|Food and Water Bowls||$10 – $25|
|Bed||$30 – $150|
|Crate||$30 – $200|
|Leashes and Collars||$15 – $50|
|Toys||$20 – $30|
|Grooming Essentials||$30 – $150|
|Deworming, Flea, and Tick Medications||$50 – $200|
|Initial Vet Visits||$100 – $300|
|Initial Vaccine Shots||$75 – $200|
|Neutering or Spaying||$50 – $500|
|Dog License||$10 – $20|
|Microchip||$40 – $60|
|Miscellaneous Supplies||$15 – $30|
|Total Initial Cost||$525 – $1,995|
Teacup Yorkshire Terriers are high-maintenance dogs which means they require more attention than the average. If you feel like something is missing from the above list, you can always add them up to your list.
Annual Cost of Owning a Teacup Yorkie
Aside from the initial cost, you should also consider how long you will take care of these toy breeds. The lifespan of a teacup Yorkie is 7 to 9 years. This is shorter than the average lifespan of a standard Yorkshire Terrier.
That said, being one of the toy breed dog lovers, you need to provide extra care for this small dog and give them the best experience until their senior years.
If you want to keep your small teacup Yorkie a happy and healthy puppy, you need to do your part — be a responsible pet parent not only in their first year but for the rest of their lives.
Below is the breakdown of annual expenses for your teacup Yorkie:
|Type of Expense||Yearly Estimate|
|Food and Treats||$240 – $720|
|Toys||$25 – $100|
|Bed and Crate||$60 – $360|
|Leashes and Collars||$20 – $30|
|Grooming Essentials||$100 – $250|
|Deworming, Flea, and Tick Medications||$150 – $250|
|Routine Veterinary Care||$200 – $400|
|Pet Insurance||$500 – $600|
|Vaccinations||$80 – $250|
|Miscellaneous Supplies||$30 – $50|
|Yearly Total||$1,405 – $3,010|
|Average Monthly Cost||$117 – $251|
In addition to the fees listed above, you can register your teacup Yorkie in training and socialization to prevent behavioral issues such as small dog syndrome or little dog syndrome.
Of course, there are other unexpected expenses that you may come across, and some of them will be discussed in a later section.
Although most pet owners believe teacup Yorkies are worth every penny, it is critical to know how much budget they need to keep their new pet healthy, happy, and fulfilled.
Other Potential Expenses
The items mentioned previously only address the most basic requirements of teacup Yorkshire Terriers.
As a teacup Yorkie owner, your expenses may still climb depending on the health of your dog and your lifestyle.
Here are some potential expenses of your teacup Yorkie:
- Pet Daycare: Pet owners should keep in mind that their pets also require socialization. While we love and care for them as if they were family, nothing beats the fun and thrill of socializing with other dogs. On average, pet daycares charge $20 to $30 per day.
- Pet Sitting: When you leave for long hours, your teacup puppy might develop separation anxiety, leading to destructive animal behaviors. Hiring someone to look after your dog while you’re not there will prevent these behaviors from developing. You should expect to pay around $25 to $30 for this service.
- Grooming Services: Although you can clean and groom them at home, you may want to consider going to a grooming salon to get them groomed professionally. Grooming fees for a teacup Yorkie range between $30 and $80.
- Dog’s Apparel: Apart from keeping them warm and comfortable, garments can also save them from getting sick and experiencing hypothermia, which is a common condition among miniature dogs. Prices for dog clothing can start as little as $5 and can go up to $100, depending on the quality.
- AKC Registration: AKC registration is an important step if you want your purebred dog to join various dog shows and events. For $80 to $200, you can have your teacup Yorkie registered with the American Kennel Club.
- Emergency Medical Procedures: These small puppies are generally healthy. However, there might be unfortunate situations that might happen to your dog, which needs an emergency medical procedure. This pet’s medical costs are usually expensive, so it’s important to set a reasonable budget for them. The cost of emergency care for a teacup Yorkie ranges between $1,000 and $5,000.
Not every teacup Yorkie owner may need these potential expenses, but they may refer to these if necessary.
In reality, we can’t disregard these medical emergencies. Since this dog is smaller than a standard-sized Yorkie, expect them to have delicate bones and be prone to certain health issues.
Places to Find Teacup Yorkie Puppies for Sale and Adoption
Choosing to add a new canine companion into your life is a difficult decision, especially when determining where to buy one.
Although teacup Yorkies are one of the popular dog breeds, they are difficult to find because breeding dogs with such a small size is challenging. Several health risks are also associated with these undersized dogs.
You certainly do not want to keep a teacup Yorkie with health issues. Thus, going to reputable breeders is the safest option to avoid being deceived.
Here is a list of reputable AKC breeders that sell teacup Yorkies:
- Priceless Yorkie Puppy – Priceless Yorkie Puppy is a Michigan teacup Yorkie breeder that offers tiny Yorkie puppies for sale. They produce petite, healthy, high-quality teacup dogs with baby doll looks and champion bloodlines. Prices for teacup Yorkie puppies start at $3,500 and may vary according to size, gender, features, and pedigree.
- Royal Cupids of York – Royal Cupids of York is a licensed, insured, and certified breeder situated in Virginia. They breed some of the finest quality, celebrity-level tiny Yorkshire Terrier puppies in the United States. Their Yorkies are AKC-registered, have a DNA registered pedigree, and are OFA/FCI certified for patellar luxation, which is impossible to find from other breeders.
- Goldie’s Yorkies – Goldie’s Yorkies was established in 1987 and has spent the past 32 years developing the best teacup Yorkshire Terrier and Poodle bloodlines. Their primary goal is to raise American Kennel Club-certified Yorkie puppies that are free from health issues and to help them find happy and loving homes throughout the country.
There are many reputable breeders out there, but if you want breeders that offer AKC champions, you can check out some of the breeders included in our top 10 Yorkshire Terrier breeders.
To avoid scams and unethical breeders, read our article on how to safely buy a puppy online.
Since these teacup puppies from a trustworthy breeder are unquestionably expensive, you might consider adopting from these Yorkie rescues:
- Save A Yorkie Rescue – Save A Yorkie Rescue is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization run entirely by dedicated volunteers. Over 2,500 Yorkies have been saved by volunteers since 2002. When you adopt a dog from them, you may be charged $300 simply to cover vet fees or other expenses.
- Wren Yorkie Rescue – Wren Yorkie Rescue is a private non-profit animal rescue organization that operates in Oakland, California. In 2011, they took in and rehabilitated 55 dogs, mostly Yorkies and Yorkie mixes, from local shelters and owners who were no longer used to caring for their pets due to financial and personal reasons.
- Yorkie Rescue of America – Yorkie Rescue of America is a rescue organization dedicated to finding loving homes for Yorkies that have been exploited and discarded. They also assist those in need of extensive medical care and rehabilitation. If rehoming is not possible for a particular Yorkie, it will spend the rest of its life with them.
Teacup Yorkies aren’t only found in breeders and rescue organizations. Reading our article on how to find free puppies will help you find your new buddy without spending a single cent.
Money-Saving Tips for Teacup Yorkie Owners
The puppy prices for these miniature pups are undeniably expensive when compared to other dog breeds. Moreover, you also need to spend additional expenses related to owning a teacup Yorkie.
To save a few hundred dollars on your teacup dog’s expenses, here are some practical tips you should follow:
- Create your own dog toys. Although teacup Yorkies are small dogs, they can be tough chewers. Because of this, toys may need to be repurchased regularly. However, rather than wasting money on toys, start making your own to save money and time coming back to pet stores.
- Make a bed for your dog. This tiny puppy requires space more comfortable than your hardwood floor. Making a bed for your mini Yorkie won’t just help them have a good night’s sleep but will also help you save money because you pick the materials out yourself.
- DIY your pet’s clothes. Although your teacup companion has a long coat that keeps them warm during colder months, you may wish to dress them up warmly. Instead of purchasing dog apparel, get an old sweater from your wardrobe, get creative, and figure out how to fit it to your pet.
- Purchase bulk dog food. Your pet’s food will still be an expenditure, but you may be able to save up to 25% or more by purchasing large quantities of kibble. Some stores also provide discounts for large purchases, so take advantage of them if available.
Although there are many more money-saving tips, the ones listed above will undoubtedly assist you in providing the best for your precious furry family member while also saving money in the process!
Adding a toy breed as a new member to your family is exciting! They can be extremely rewarding as it brings you a sense of joy and unconditional love of companionship.
However, owning a teacup Yorkie doesn’t simply mean purchasing food and keeping it nourished. Taking care of one is a huge responsibility.
Before you bring a teacup Yorkie to your home, be sure to research the costs you can expect.
Hopefully, this guide has helped you to make a budget plan for these miniature breeds and set aside money ahead of time for them so you may buy everything you need for your new companion dog without stress.
In that way, you won’t end up spending more money on your new friend than you anticipated. If you have any budget tips on how to keep a teacup Yorkie, feel free to comment below!
My name is John Carter and I absolutely love pets, especially cats and dogs. I’ve got a Bachelor of Science degree in Animal Behaviour and Welfare and have several years’ experience working in animal shelters and rescues. My passion for animals started at a very young age as I grow up on a farm with several horses, cows, cats, chickens, and dogs on our property.