While there are a bunch of Poodle crossbreeds that make great family companions, the appeal of the Maltipoo remains unmatched due to their trainability and skills as therapy dogs.
It’s no wonder why they are relatively expensive than other Poodle mixes like the Yorkipoo or Labradoodles.
If you ended up in this guide because you’re trying to estimate how much a Maltipoo puppy costs, consider yourself lucky! This is actually a comprehensive blog on Maltipoo price and the ongoing expenses of owning one.
The Average Cost of a Maltipoo: How Much Do Maltipoo Puppies Cost?
The average cost of a Maltipoo puppy from a reputable breeder is between $400 and $4,000. However, some breeders sell rare-colored Maltipoo puppies at a much higher price range. For instance, red, champagne, and chocolate puppies may cost you around $8,000 to $15,000.
On another note, adult Maltipoos are sold at a relatively cheaper price than adult purebred dogs since they are no longer in their prime years. You’ll see them being marketed by reputable breeders for only $350 to $700.
Apart from the age and color of the Maltipoo puppies, their size also has a say on their price. Take a look at the table below which details Maltipoo cost according to its size:
|Maltipoo Size||Weight||Height||Puppy Price|
|Miniature||10 to 25 pounds||12 to 15 inches||$400 to $2,000|
|Toy||Below 10 pounds||8 to 10 inches||$400 to $3,000|
|Teacup||4 pounds and below||6 inches and below||$2,000 to $4,000|
Among all the Maltipoo sizes, teacups are noticeably the most expensive since their parent dogs are intentionally bred by a limited number of dog breeders. This does not mean, though, that they are healthier among the other sizes.
In fact, they may be considered as an anomaly since a Maltese and a miniature Poodle don’t really come in the teacup size.
Another noteworthy fact about the Maltipoo price is that their lineage directly affects their price. For example, Texas Teacups sells Maltipoo puppies from celebrity bloodlines at $8,975 to $14,975.
These dogs are tagged as “celebrities” since they appeared on television shows, commercials, or even movies.
If you aren’t sure about the reputability of the Maltipoo breeder you are in contact with and they are asking for a hefty price for their pup, I recommend looking at their background and be more conscious of possible scam red flags.
You can read our guide on purchasing a puppy online which offers great tips for a wiser puppy purchase.
Check out this video to see how a healthy Maltese Poodle mix from a reputable breeder looks like:
Are Maltipoos Expensive? Factors Affecting the Cost of a Maltipoo
Compared to other mixed breed dogs, Maltipoo puppies cost a lot more. They are usually priced at $400 to $4,000 but can go up to $15,000 depending on the color and bloodline.
Now you may find these actual Maltipoo prices ironic since these dogs are small crossbreeds. Why would they cost so much when they can very well fit in the palm of a hand, right?
To put you out of confusion, here is a detailed list of all the factors that impact Maltipoo prices:
- Breeder’s Reputation: Professional breeders go to great lengths just to prove their reputability unlike puppy mills. Once they are given recognition or acknowledged by certain organizations like the American Kennel Club, their Maltipoo prices become more premium. This is well worth it, though, because they offer the healthiest puppies and their breeding stock is health tested.
- Size: As discussed in the former section, the Maltipoo breed comes in three different sizes: teacup, toy, and miniature. Teacup Maltipoos are the most expensive since they are harder to come by. They are meticulously bred to avoid congenital diseases that they may inherit due to their size.
- Color: Unlike other crossbreeds, the color of a Maltipoo dictates its cost. Red, champagne, and chocolate Maltipoos are way more expensive than white, cream, and other colors due to their rarity.
- Generation: Since Maltipoos are hybrids, first-generation (F1) crosses that only require a Poodle parent and a Maltese parent are cheaper than second-generation puppies and beyond. This can be attributed to the fact that in breeding F2 and the succeeding generations, the breeder needs to wait for a long time and they have to closely monitor their Maltipoos to avoid inbreeding.
- Lineage: Similar to purebreds, a Maltipoo puppy’s bloodline directly affects its price. Maltipoos with champion bloodlines have better characteristics, be they physical or temperamental.
- Puppy’s Age: Maltipoo puppies need more careful attention than their adult counterparts; thus, they are advertised for between $400 and $4,000. Initially, Maltipoo breeders have their litters vetted, microchipped, vaccinated, and spayed/neutered which can balloon to a few hundred dollars.
Some other minor factors that can impact the price of a Maltipoo are the location of the breeder or the shipping cost, the dog’s popularity in a certain area, and registration fee in hybrid kennel organizations.
How Much Does It Cost to Adopt a Maltipoo From a Shelter or Rescue?
Maltipoo fanciers who are on a tight budget may be wondering how much does a Maltipoo costs from a rescue. Well, the adoption fee is around $100 to $800 depending on the organization.
This means of acquiring a Maltipoo is more suggested since a dog’s life can be saved while being practical in terms of money.
The fee collected by most shelters and rescues goes to maintaining other dogs left on the facility.
If you want to be technical about it, the actual cost of rehabilitating a rescued dog is way more expensive than what is being asked by these rescue organizations.
However, the screening process is also more intensive than buying a dog.
If you ever found a Maltipoo on a rescue and you want to ace your adoption application, go read our ultimate guide on dog adoption.
It offers a run-through of the application process and tons of helpful tips to ensure that you’ll get to bring home a Maltipoo in no time.
Initial Cost of Maltipoo Ownership
Owning a Maltipoo, or any dog for that matter, will require you to spend a chunk of your savings for their care and maintenance aside from the fee you’ll pay to the Maltipoo breeder.
You won’t be able to transition your dog home without buying some necessary items like a leash and collar, dog food, water bowl, and the like.
Here is a complete list of all initial Maltipoo breed essentials along with their average cost:
- Dog Food: Despite being a small dog, the Maltipoo breed is a hearty eater. They need to be fed twice or thrice a day since their metabolism is fast. That being said, you’ll spend around $85 for grain-free dog food.
- Leash and Collar: Purchasing a leash and collar for your pup is advantageous during obedience training. Similarly, these items come in handy when you walk them in your neighborhood or you bring them elsewhere. You can purchase a good-quality leash and collar from pet stores for about $20.
- Dog Crate: Dog crates are primarily needed if you plan to travel with your dog. But you may also choose to buy this for house training or to prevent destructive behavior since Maltipoos are known for aggression due to separation anxiety. You can source a sturdy crate from Amazon for $50.
- Dog Bed: Similar to humans, Maltipoos need a bed for them to sleep comfortably. This can also serve as space for them to retreat to if you have visitors. There are various types of dog beds available in the market but they are often priced at $40.
- Feeding Bowls: You won’t be able to feed your dog just by the palm of your hand. Purchasing feeding bowls for their food and water is something you shouldn’t overlook. This can be purchased at $15.
- Chew Toys: Maltipoos are playful family pets due to their Poodle ancestors. Surely, you don’t want them to chew your rug or your furniture because of this innate playfulness. What you can do is to provide them with chew toys that cost $20. This also improves their jaws so it’s well worth your money.
- Dog Shampoo: Maltipoos may be non-shedders but they need to be cleaned from time to time. During the bath, you’ll be needing a dog shampoo to wash off any debris from their coat. Dog shampoos are usually around $10 per bottle.
- Brush: Maltipoos need to be brushed 2 to 3 times a week. Of course, you can’t do this with bare hands so you would need the aid of a brush. Luckily, they only cost $10.
- Poop Scooper: I know how gross it is when your dog leaves traces of feces all over your yard. To help you dispose of their waste without the added hassle, buy a poop scooper for $15.
Below is a recap of the average cost of each initial item you need to purchase for your Maltipoo:
|Type of Expense||Average Cost|
|Leash and Collar||$20|
|Total Initial Cost||$265|
Note that the expenses listed above are only average costs. In other words, the total amount of money you’ll be spending for your Maltipoo will still depend on the type, brand, or amount of product you’ll buy.
For dog food, however, buying in bulk will save you a lot more money.
First-Year Expenses of Owning a Maltipoo Puppy
The first-year expenses of Maltipoo ownership may be overwhelming for most pet owners as it isn’t exactly cheap. In fact, it amounts to over a thousand dollars in total.
This begs the question, are the items and services availed for the first year worth it?
Here’s a comprehensive list of where you’re going to bank your money during your first year of Maltipoo ownership:
- Vaccine Shots: Vaccine shots are vital if you want to avoid an unhealthy dog. There are also some dog vaccines that are meant to protect humans from a dog’s scratch or accidental bite. These vaccines are often around $300.
- Pet Insurance: Your bank account won’t be in trouble in case your Maltipoo has a medical emergency if you avail of dog insurance. This typically costs $250 per year.
- Deworming: Deworming to avoid canine infections is usually done by the breeder prior to surrendering your Maltipoo to you. If they didn’t have your dog dewormed, you’re going to spend $20 for this procedure.
- Neutering and Spaying: If you have no plans to use your Maltipoo for breeding, neutering and spaying are a must. These can cost around $200.
- Flea and Tick Medications: To avoid fleas and ticks which are primary causes of allergies both to dogs and humans, certain medications are prescribed by the vet. They can be purchased over the counter for $200.
- Vet Checkups: During your Maltipoo’s first year, vet visits are more frequent. This is to ensure that they’re free from health issues that may progress as they grow old. Hence, you need to prepare at least $400 in paying a licensed veterinarian.
Here is a rundown of the first-year expenses of buying and maintaining a Maltipoo:
|Type of Expense||Average Cost|
|Maltipoo Puppy||$400 – $4,000|
|Dog Food and Treats||$1,020|
|Neutering or Spaying||$200|
|Flea and Tick Medication||$200|
|Total First-Year Expenses||$2,955 – $6,555|
Before you close this tab thinking that Maltipoo ownership is way beyond your budget, remember that this is only for the first year and the table above includes the cost of the puppy itself.
You won’t be spending this large amount in one go so better think it over.
Monthly Cost of Owning a Maltipoo
Most potential puppy owners would get discouraged looking at the first-year expenses of Maltipoo ownership. Can’t blame them. However, here it isn’t really that bad if you look at it in a bigger picture.
When viewed on a monthly perspective, the expenses aren’t that heavy on the pocket as evident in the table below:
|Type of Expense||Average Cost|
|Dog Food and Treats||$85|
|Flea and Tick Medication||$15|
|Total Monthly Expenses||$160|
Again, these are just rough estimations and your recurring costs may be cheaper or more expensive depending on the type of item or the quality of service you’ll avail.
To save a few bucks, make sure you find the best deals and you compare prices and quality.
Lifetime Expenses of Owning a Maltipoo
Maltipoos are small dogs that live for about 10 to 15 years. This means that throughout that span of time, you’ll be catering to their needs both physically and financially.
Assuming that Maltipoo puppies need $1,920 a year for maintenance and the first year would cost you around $2,955 to $6,555 inclusive of the Maltipoo cost, expect to spend $20,235 to $33,435 during their whole lifetime.
These average costs are not inclusive of the potential expenses of Maltipoo ownership which are discussed in detail in the succeeding section.
Other Potential Expenses
As a devoted dog lover, it is normal to desire the best for our dogs. This involves availing services that will make them more comfortable as they serve as our companions.
More often than not, the services I’m talking about involves the following:
- Day Care Services: When you are tasked to run some errands or have a domestic or international trip, you could leave your Maltipoo dog in a daycare center where someone can look after them. This service amounts to $15.
- Dog Walking Services: If you’re too busy with work and you don’t have enough time to walk your pet since they are active dogs, hiring a dog walker for $15 puts good value on your money.
- Grooming Services: Maltipoos look best when their coat is maintained. Thus, proper grooming is essential. This speaks true to other parts of their body so trimming their nails, cleaning their eyes, or providing dental care are also top priorities. Bringing them in a professional groomer from time to time would cost you around $20 to $50.
- Medical Treatment: As your dog matures, it may encounter certain health issues that need immediate medical attention. This would require you to spend $100 to $10,000 depending on the severity of the complication. This won’t be much of a problem if you bought your dog from a good breeder.
- Kennel Club Registration: Although major canine organizations like the American Kennel Club or the Canadian Kennel Club do not recognize crossbreeds like the Maltipoo, there are some associations such as the Designer Breed Registry and the International Designer Canine Registry which fully acknowledge them for $90. You’ll get your pup’s pedigree documented if you choose to avail of this.
All of the above services are optional except for medical treatments. If you feel like these additional costs aren’t really necessary, you always have the choice to defer availing them.
Common Health Issues of Maltipoo and Their Cost of Treatment
Although Maltipoos exhibit some level of hybrid vigor, many owners still notice certain health issues that are prevalent among their lot. This is more evident among pups bought from a puppy mill.
I detailed each health issue below along with their average cost of treatment:
- White Shaker Syndrome: This condition that manifests through tremors is called as such because it is common among small white dogs such as the Maltipoo. Treatment involves benzodiazepine drugs and corticosteroids which can run you from $300 to $4,800.
- Legg Calve Perthes Disease: This occurs when your Maltipoo’s femur bone degenerates causing joint and bone inflammation. Surgery is suggested for this condition which has an average cost of $1,000 to $3,000.
- Portosystemic Shunt: When Maltipoos have an abnormal blood flow between their liver and body, they may be suffering from portosystemic shunt. This is responsible for stunted growth, incoordination, and poor appetite. Treatment for this condition amounts to $2,000 to $12,000.
- Epilepsy: Epilepsy is common among Maltipoos no matter their size. This manifests through seizures and can be managed through medication which costs around $200 to $500.
- Colitis: This is an inflammation in your Maltipoo’s colon that is caused by infections and parasites. Usual treatments are antimicrobial drugs that you can avail of at $100 to $300.
Once your Maltipoo shows signs of the diseases above, waste no time and consult with a veterinarian.
Waiting for their condition to disappear on its own may put their lives at risk and may take a toll on your bank account in the long run.
Places to Find Maltipoo Puppies for Sale or Adoption
Now that you’re more informed about the initial cost of a Maltipoo puppy and the ongoing expenses of owning one, it’s about time I share the details of some Maltipoo breeders that I can vouch for.
This will also help you avoid buying from puppy mills because they are often disguised as professionals.
Here are the top Maltipoo breeders that you should get in touch with if you want to get a Maltipoo puppy:
- Bear Creek Maltipoo – The price of the puppies from this Maltipoo breeder is determined by sex, size, age, and color. But generally, toys, tiny toys, and deeper colors are around $2,300. They have a waiting list for potential puppy owners as they don’t breed often to ensure the quality of their Maltipoos.
- My Doodle Maltipoos – This kennel has been breeding dogs including miniature Maltipoos. They aren’t keen to disclose the exact price of their dogs, but they ask for a $500 deposit fee for their available Maltipoo puppies.
- Polos Maltipoos – Polos Maltipoos is run by a quality breeder who produces every single Maltipoo color imaginable. Similar to My Doodle Maltipoos, they also ask potential dog owners for a non-refundable $500 deposit and the average cost of a puppy from them is $4,000.
Thinking of Maltipoo adoption? I got you covered, too.
Here are some rescues and animal shelters that are possibly housing your next Maltipoo:
- Metropolitan Maltese Rescue – This is a non-profit corporation that saves Maltese and Maltese mixes since 1998. They charge a $500 adoption fee for dogs below 2 years old, $400 for Maltipoos that are 2 to 5 years old, and $300 for dogs over 5 years old.
- Florida Poodle Rescue – This rescue has been around since 1994 and has saved 10,000 Poodles and Poodle mixes including the Maltipoo. The adoption fee for their rescued dogs amounts to $150 to $800.
- Mid-Atlantic Poodle Rescue – This organization rescues Poodles and their mixes in Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Virginia. You can view the available dogs on their website which usually costs $500 to adopt.
Before signing contracts or sending money, remember to ask for the health history of the puppy. The last thing you want to deal with is an unhealthy Maltipoo which costs more than a year’s rent.
Money-Saving Tips for Maltipoo Parents
There’s no shame in seeking ways to cut some costs in Maltipoo ownership since these dogs are expensive to buy from quality breeders.
As your fellow budgetarian, I’ll let you in some useful tips on how I usually save money from dog-owning.
Not all of these may work for you, but there’s nothing wrong in trying anyway:
- Adopt, don’t shop. Whereas buying Maltipoo puppies from a breeder costs up to $4,000, adopting a senior dog from a rescue shelter would only require you to pay a one-time fee amounting to $150 to $800. This is suggested if you aren’t after the lineage or age of a Maltipoo or you’re already happy with average pups.
- Buy high-quality dog essentials. You think you’re saving money by buying a cheap dog brush, leash and collar, and other items for your dog. But the truth is, you are “wasting” your money. Always invest in high-quality dog essentials even though they are much more expensive because you’ll be able to use them longer.
- Never skip vet checkups. By bringing your dog to the vet when they are scheduled to, you’ll be able to track their overall health and prevent serious diseases from targeting them. Failing to do so would put your dog at risk which also means that you’ll spend more on treatments.
- Groom your Maltipoo at home. Grooming Maltipoos even though they are small can be quite expensive if you’ll bring them to professional groomers every month. With the aid of ebooks and YouTube videos, you can master grooming your dog without spending much.
- Buy in bulk. This is no secret but is often overlooked by many Maltipoo owners. Buying in bulk, especially dog food and treats, saves you more money than buying per gram every single week. This also saves you more energy.
Pet owning doesn’t have to be expensive all the time. With a bit of planning and strategizing, your bank account won’t be crying for help and you won’t be suffering from perpetual headaches.
Maltipoos may be expensive, but they are worth every penny! They are extremely adorable dogs that would definitely bring joy to you and your family.
In purchasing essential items for this cross, I would never tire of reminding you to check the best deals before settling for a certain brand.
This would save you a lot of money and you’ll get more options when it comes to the quality of products you can avail.
Remember that Maltipoos live for 10 to 15 years. If you aren’t a hundred percent sure that you’ll be able to cater to all their needs in that span of time, just settle at watching videos of them in the meantime.
This is much better than purchasing one and then leaving them at shelters and rescues once you can no longer take care of them.