|Height:||8 – 14 inches|
|Weight:||6 – 12 pounds|
|Lifespan:||10 – 16 years|
|Coat Colors:||Black, cream, red, merle, white, chocolate, fawn, tricolor, parti-color (black and tan, fawn and white, silver and cream)|
|Temperament:||Gentle, upbeat, affectionate, fun-loving, alert, quick-witted, tenacious|
|Suitable for:||Experienced owners; active singles or households; families with older children|
If you’re a crossbreed enthusiast, prepare to be delighted by the Maltipoo Chihuahua mix or the Malchipoo. This new designer dog combines the contrasting appearances of its parent breeds.
However, some people are skeptical that mixed pups can become excellent pets due to their genetic makeup. Others also believe that many health issues might arise from such crossbreeding practices.
In this guide, I’ll provide you with everything you need to know about the Maltipoo Chihuahua mix.
We’ll go into every detail that makes this mix special, including its overall appearance, temperament, origin, and other facts. So, let’s get started!
What Is a Maltipoo Chihuahua Mix?
The Maltipoo Chihuahua mix, also known as the Malchipoo, is a result of crossing a Chihuahua with a hybrid pooch called the Maltipoo — the crossbreed of the Maltese and the Poodle. The Malchipoo mix is a small canine with a fun-loving, strong-willed, and intelligent temperament.
Furthermore, the Chihuahua and Maltipoo are two of the most popular dogs in the United States. That’s why you should consider their offspring if you want a unique, adorable lapdog.
Maltipoo Chihuahua Mix Origin and History: Where Does the Malchipoo Come From?
The Chihuahua Maltipoo mix is a fairly new breed, making it difficult for experts to trace their origin. However, the histories of Chihuahuas and Maltipoos will help you know how this hybrid came to be.
The Malchipoo’s Chihuahua parent is probably the smallest among all known breeds out there. They’re also one of the oldest canines, with a lineage dating back to the pre-Columbian period.
According to the Chihuahua Club of America (CCA), this breed originated in Mexico. They also claim that the Chihuahua descended from the now-extinct breed known as Techichi.
It was only in 1904 when the AKC recognized the Chihuahua breed.
On the other hand, the Maltipoo is a designer dog that combines the appealing features of two different breeds, the Maltese and the Poodle. It’s one of the most sought-after mixes by pet lovers today.
Additionally, this hybrid came from Malta and was first bred in the 1990s to develop a low-maintenance, hypoallergenic furry companion.
Overall, you can expect that the Maltese Poodle Chihuahua mix will be as charming and enchanting as its parent breeds.
Maltipoo Chihuahua Mix Appearance: What Does a Malchipoo Look Like?
Malchipoo mixes are small-sized fur babies, combining the teddy bear-like fluffiness of the Maltipoo and the distinctive deer or apple-shaped head of a Chihuahua.
Depending on which parent’s genes are more dominant, this canine may come in many colors, such as black, cream, red, merle, chocolate, white, tricolor, or a combination of black and tan, fawn and white, or silver and cream.
They may also exhibit the big, expressive eyes of their Chihuahua lineage in shades of ruby, black, hazel, and brown.
Aside from that, a Malchipoo can be either a short or long-haired pup. Its coat can be wavy, fluffy, and wiry like their Maltese Poodle mix lineage, or smooth, coarse, and shiny like the other parent.
However, like many mixed breeds, the exact appearance of this hybrid pup will always be unpredictable. Some Malchipoo mixes can either have a balanced look or an all-out Chihuahua or Maltipoo appearance.
If you want to know what a Maltipoo Chihuahua mix puppy looks like, watch this short clip:
Maltipoo Chihuahua Mix Size and Weight: How Big Do Malchipoos Get?
A full-grown Malchipoo can commonly stand between 8 and 14 inches tall and weigh around 6 to 12 pounds. Because this is a newly discovered breed, it can be challenging to predict how big they can get.
Consequently, we can compare both of its parent breeds to get an idea of what to expect when your designer pup hits adulthood.
Its Chihuahua parent can grow up to nine inches and weigh between 3 and 6 pounds. Meanwhile, its Maltipoo parent has a height ranging from 8 to 14 inches and can weigh as much as 12 pounds.
Furthermore, many factors can affect their growth, including the Maltipoo Chihuahua mix’s gender, genetic makeup, and if one parent is the runt of the litter. You may even end up having a teacup-sized pup.
If you don’t know how to monitor a Malchipoo’s development, consult your local veterinarian for advice. They can help keep your pooch from getting fat and developing other health issues.
Maltipoo Chihuahua Mix Temperament: Are Malchipoos Good Family Dogs?
Both the parents of Malchipoos are bred for companionship, so you can expect that this mixed breed will make excellent family dogs. Needless to say, you still have to train them properly for them to thrive.
As an aspiring owner of this hybrid canine, you may be reluctant to bring it home because of the misconception that its Chihuahua lineage is aggressive. However, this is not entirely true.
Lucky for you, the Maltese Chihuahua Poodle mix is a quick learner and a tenacious pooch. Teaching them tricks and commands will be a breeze as long as you’re patient enough.
When it comes to their behavior with other pets, early socialization is essential for them to grow up well-rounded. If you already own a cat, you can also check out these nine easy tips to make sure your Malchipoo gets along with it.
READ NEXT: Male vs. Female Chihuahua: Which Is Better?
Maltipoo Chihuahua Mix Lifespan and Health Issues: Are Malchipoos Healthy Dogs?
Maltipoo Chihuahua mixes can be healthy pooches, but only if they’re bred responsibly and maintained properly. Their lifespan typically ranges from 10 to 16 years, with some living much longer.
There’s no denying that Malchipoo mixes are adorable. Still, before you decide to bring one home, it’s best to understand and take note of the potential health risks associated with this hybrid.
The following are some of the common health issues of the Maltipoo Chihuahua mix:
- Luxating Patellas: Small dogs, like the Maltipoo Chihuahua mix, are more likely to suffer from luxating patellas. This condition is when your pet’s kneecap pops out of its socket and can cause severe pain when jumping or running around.
- Idiopathic Epilepsy: This is a neurological disorder that causes seizures in a Chihuahua Maltipoo mix. It’s usually hereditary and can be controlled by medication. Unfortunately, some canines suffer side effects from the needed treatments for managing their symptoms.
- Hydrocephalus: Malchipoo mixes can suffer from hydrocephalus, which can cause their heads to swell up like water balloons. Some symptoms include lethargy, paralysis, and seizures. If your dog suffers from this, it may need surgery to drain the fluid from its head.
Many factors can heavily affect the longevity of this mixed fur baby’s life, which includes the life expectancy of its Chihuahua and Maltipoo parent.
Nevertheless, as long as you bring your pup for regular vet check-ups, you’ll be able to keep tabs on its overall health and ensure it stays well for a long time.
Moreover, it’s always valuable to check out pet insurance companies. This way, if your dog gets sick or injured, you’ll be able to take care of it without breaking the bank.
How to Take Care of Your Chihuahua Maltipoo Mix
Taking care of a Malchipoo is no easy task, especially when you’re trying to keep them happy and healthy at the same time.
But with patience, consistency, and some helpful tips that you’ll find in this section, you can ensure that your Chihuahua Maltipoo mix lives a long and healthy life.
As you continue to read, I’ll guide you through the steps of properly caring for a Malchipoo!
Food and Diet
The minimum amount of premium dog food you should give your Malchipoo is half to one and one-third cups per day.
Because both lineages of this designer canine are tiny breeds, it’s recommended that you follow the feeding guide for its Chihuahua parent.
On a related note, it’s also a good idea to consult your vet about how much nutrition your furry companion needs.
Maltipoo Chihuahua mixes are prone to becoming obese, so overfeeding them is something you want to avoid.
Additionally, don’t forget that you can supplement their diet with nutritious treats and vitamins. Be sure to feed your Chihuahua Maltipoo mix on a strict schedule to guarantee optimal health and growth.
Cleaning and Grooming
As discussed in the previous sections, Chihuahuas and Maltipoos are both low-maintenance breeds. Accordingly, when it comes to maintaining your Malchipoo, they don’t need much work like other pooches.
However, you’ll want to brush this designer dog regularly to prevent tangles and remove dead hair from their coat. If you have a long-haired Malchipoo, you may need to trim their hair occasionally.
Moreover, it’s beneficial to bathe this mixed breed at least once a month with shampoo tailored to their specific needs.
You should also inspect the Maltipoo Chihuahua mix’s skin for ticks, which can be found either alive or dead. Giving your dog preventive medication is the best way to keep them from getting parasites.
Aside from that, it’s essential to make sure that your furry companion has a healthy set of teeth, clean ear canals, and properly trimmed nails.
Training and Exercise
Maltese Poodle Chihuahua mixes are known for their intelligence and quick-wittedness. Training them should be easy, but it’s crucial to do it early in the canine’s life so they can get used to it.
It’s also best to use positive reinforcement techniques during training sessions.
Furthermore, they’re upbeat and attention-seeking dogs. If you don’t offer needed mental stimulation every day, they may develop terrible habits and aggressive behavior.
In addition, it’s noteworthy to allow your dog to be exposed to various stimuli, such as new people, other animals, and different environments. This practice will help them learn how to behave in any situation.
If possible, give them at least 20 minutes of exercise each day. Both parents of the Chihuahua Maltipoo mix share a high energy level, so you should be prepared to take your pup out for daily walks and playtimes.
How Much Does a Maltipoo Chihuahua Mix Cost? Puppy Prices and Expenses
A Malchipoo puppy can cost you anywhere from $400 to $3,000. This price range is based on the breeder’s location and reputation for producing healthy puppies.
Additionally, you need to prepare your pocket for the expenses of owning a Chihuahua Maltipoo mix. It includes dog food, vaccinations, a long-lasting bed, sturdy toys, and other basic needs.
Here’s a look at the estimated expenses involved with owning a Malchipoo puppy:
|Type of Expense||Cost|
|Food and Treats||$50 – $80|
|Food and Water Bowls||$10 – $25|
|Bed||$30 – $150|
|Crate||$30 – $200|
|Leashes and Collars||$15 – $50|
|Toys||$20 – $30|
|Grooming Essentials||$30 – $150|
|Deworming, Flea, and Tick Medications||$50 – $200|
|Initial Vet Visits||$100 – $300|
|Initial Vaccine Shots||$75 – $200|
|Neutering or Spaying||$50 – $500|
|Dog License||$10 – $20|
|Microchip||$40 – $60|
|Miscellaneous Supplies||$15 – $30|
|Total Initial Cost||$525 – $1,995|
According to the table above, the approximate amount you initially need to shell out can range between $525 and $1,995. Regardless, all these expenses are worth it because your pooch deserves the best care.
Places to Find Maltipoo Chihuahua Mix Puppies for Sale and Adoption
Looking for a reputable Chihuahua Maltipoo mix breeder on your own can be exhausting. There are so many options, and there’s no way to know which ones are reliable and which ones aren’t.
Remember that even if it’s tempting to buy from puppy mills and backyard breeders offering low-cost pups, it’s not worth it. They can scam you with their illegal breeding practices.
Without further ado, here are some advertising sites where you can find Malchipoo puppies for sale:
- PuppySpot – PuppySpot takes pride in helping thousands of fur babies find their loving homes. They have also earned a reputation for providing quality pups to their customers. Moreover, this site has a large selection of purebreds and crossbreeds, so you’re sure to find a Maltipoo Chihuahua mix here.
- Lancaster Puppies – When searching for hybrid breeds, Lancaster Puppies is a convenient place to start. They have a user-friendly search option to help you see the list of available Chihuahua Maltipoo mixes effortlessly.
- AKC Marketplace – Even though this AKC-certified marketplace doesn’t recognize designer pooches, it does have a robust database of all the credible Chihuahua breeders. Try your luck and reach out to some of them about Malchipoo puppy listings.
Other than the places I’ve listed above, you can check our directory of the best Chihuahua and Maltipoo breeders in the United States. You can read our puppy buying guide for tips on validating your chosen breeder.
While you’re in the market for a Malchipoo puppy, why not consider adopting instead? Thousands of canines are in shelters and rescues, waiting for someone like you to open your heart and home to them.
Here are some of the following rescue organizations where you might find a Chihuahua Maltipoo mix puppy available for adoption:
- Limbo Chihuahuas – Located in Florida, Limbo Chihuahuas is there to assist in giving pure and mixed Chihuahuas a second chance at life. Its mission is to lessen the number of poor canines euthanized each day. You can visit their website and contact them if they have a Malchipoo mix.
- Petfinder – Petfinder is a notable site for finding a Maltipoo Chihuahua mix available for adoption. It’s very easy to use and has various dogs available from many rescue organizations. You can search by breed, age, gender, or location.
- NorCal Poodle Rescue (NCPR) – Founded in 1985, NCPR is a trusted rescue organization that offers purebred and hybrid Poodles. You may be able to find a Chihuahua Maltipoo mix here. However, prepare to pay an adoption fee ranging from $250 to $700.
If you can’t find an available furry friend on the sources I’ve discussed, feel free to reach out to other Chihuahua rescues in the country. Also, we created an ultimate adoption guide to get you familiar with the process.
In case you’re still unable to locate a Maltipoo Chihuahua mix, you can start again by searching groups and pages on Facebook and other online forums.
You can also learn how to adopt a pup without spending a single cent by reading our guide on finding free puppies in your area.
Pros and Cons of Owning a Chihuahua Maltipoo Mix
Before bringing a Malchipoo into your life, you should know that it’s not all sunshine and rainbows.
You have to thoroughly research everything about this mixed breed, consider your lifestyle, and guarantee that you’re ready for the responsibility of owning one.
To help you with your decision, here are some of the advantages of buying or adopting a Chihuahua mixed with a Maltipoo:
- Low-shedding: With both parent breeds known for their low shedding levels, this hybrid pooch is ideal for people who don’t like to find fur all over their furniture and clothes. Chihuahua Maltipoo mixes are low-maintenance pups as well, so they don’t require extensive grooming.
- Has a unique appearance: Maltipoo Chihuahua mixes have a distinctive appearance that sets them apart from other canines. It makes them more charming to many people, especially those who are looking for something different compared to the common breeds out there.
- Responsive when it comes to training: You’re going to have a lot of fun training your Malchipoo. This designer dog is very responsive and eager to please its fur parent, so you should find it easy to teach them new tricks and commands.
Of course, you can’t have the pros without the cons. The following are some of the drawbacks of owning a Maltipoo Chihuahua mix:
- Constant attention is needed: Be prepared to spend a lot of time interacting with your Chihuahua Maltipoo mix. They’re intelligent and highly energetic, so they need daily stimulation. If you don’t have time for play sessions or walks around the neighborhood, this isn’t the pet for you.
- Susceptible to genetic health problems: The Maltipoo Chihuahua mix is prone to hereditary issues such as cataracts, deafness, and hip dysplasia. As soon as you get your pooch, talk to your veterinarian about having it tested for these conditions and discuss preventative measures.
- Can be very territorial: This behavior is a common problem that most canine owners encounter. If your Malchipoo is not trained and socialized during puppyhood, it will most likely show aggressiveness towards other animals.
As you can see, it’s important to remember that bringing home a furry companion is both a commitment and an adventure.
Keeping a tab on all the advantages and disadvantages I’ve listed is a wise idea before diving into the dog ownership experience.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Maltipoo Chihuahua Mixes Smart?
Maltipoo Chihuahua mixes are intelligent and have upbeat personalities. With consistency and training, you’ll be able to teach your adorable companion new tricks in no time.
Furthermore, their high energy levels make them excellent candidates for many doggy activities, including agility training, canine sports, and even hunting.
Do Maltipoo Chihuahua Mixes Shed?
Malchipoos shed quite a bit if not groomed occasionally, especially those with long coats.
They require daily brushing because they’re constantly shedding fur, and if it becomes matted, it can cause skin problems for these poor fur babies. Moreover, grooming is essential to keep them looking neat and healthy.
Are Maltipoo Chihuahua Mixes Hypoallergenic?
Even if the Maltipoo lineage of Malchipoos is bred to be a hypoallergenic pooch, their Chihuahua lineage is known to produce dander.
Consequently, if you or your family members are prone to pet allergies, it might be better to consider a different breed.
Final Thoughts: Is a Malchipoo Mix the Right Dog for You?
Deciding whether to own a Malchipoo is a challenge that will heavily depend on your lifestyle and expectations. If you’re looking for a tiny canine with boundless energy and tons of personality, this mixed breed is the one for you.
However, it’s critical to consider the time, energy, and money required to care for this hybrid dog. In addition, you need to inspect if your house is safe enough for it to roam around freely.
Despite the sacrifices you’ll have to make, owning a Chihuahua Maltipoo mix will offer you and your family a lifetime of happiness.
Have you had the chance to see or own a Malchipoo? Let us know your thoughts about the Maltipoo Chihuahua mix in the comments below!